Hot!Jarrods 315 Reef (and 900 gallon Lagoon)

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835

Jarrods 315 Reef (and 900 gallon Lagoon)

Here are some specs on my Current tank set up...For most current pictures at the end of the tread. or read through and see the whole story of how things went along... []
Updated 2/25/09
Fish List
Naso Tang
Naso Unicorn Tang
3-Yellow Tang
2- Purple Tangs( lost  1 in ich treatment 4/27/08 ) Replaced on 7/13/08
Sailfin Tang (died feburary 2008) Replaced with The nicer kind.. I forget the name
Vlamingi Tang
2- Blue Tang
Atlantic Blue Tang
Sohal Tang
Emperor Angel
Blueface Angel
Coral Beauty Angel (died with bloated belly march 2008) Replaced with new smaller one.
Flame Angel
Foxface
2- False Percs Clownfish
2- Green Manderin Male and Female
Starry Blenny
Algae  Blenny
Melenarus Wrasse
Pajama Cardinal
1- Bangil Cardinals
Juvi Engineering Goby
Another sand goby and pistol shrimp

Male and Female Yellow Stingray
Male Epualette Shark
2- Male and Female Coral Cat sharks
Lion Fish
Snowflake Eel

Equipment
315 gallon tank 84x36x24
12'x4'x30" deep Lagoon.
Lagoon Building Thread

Main return pump: Sequence 4300

6- hi-flow MJ mods

Lighting..
2- 250 20k Radium Bulbs in Luminarc Reflectors

over lagoon - 4 40watt 6500k NO bulbs

Monster Dart Needle Wheel Skimmer
Seperate Thread

Octopus Dual 6" chamber Calcium reactor.

DIY sulfur Denitrator..

Replies (319) Related Threads

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    RE: Jarrods 315 Reef (permalink)

Here are some somewhat current pics taken with in the last few weeks... not much has changed...

Office side

End View

Hallway View

Random shots

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    more random shots

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    Here is the equipment room. i am still working on it so i will get some more pictures shortly....
    Lets start with the frag tank.. 100 gallon rubber maid with a GEn x pcx 40 CL.. and a 250 xm 10K over it..

as you turn to the right you see the skimmer sitting next to the or between the two tubs.. this is 6" dual beckett i built ran by a gri 520

this is the 100 gallon rubbermaid that the main drain flows into.. from the bucket it goes into the skimmer and the skimmer goes into the frag tank.. which drains into this tank and they both drain in to the next tank.. this tank is lit by two 96 W PC's just for the live rock and such in there.....

This is a 150 gallon rubbermaid.. fuge/sump all the water flows in to here one side is the fuge lit 24/7 and the other is just where the return is and heaters and such...

THis is how all three sumps fit together....
    clamdigr
    • Total Posts : 1088
    • Reward points : 924
    I got to see the tank yesterday, It's awesome...I love that the fish get a seven foot run. Some of the healthiest fish I've seen..and big....I think the hippo's are the nicest I've ever seen (really). The light spread from the LAIII's is very impressive. Many different corals and colors..will be cool to see as they grow.  Those stock tubs got me thinking.....but I don't have the room.

btw..Jarrod turn you skimmer pic so the water doesn't go on the floor
    -Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    thanks mike thats very nice of you

UPDATE

Today... well last night.. i hooked up my new heater idea. I was having trouble running heaters to keep my tank at a good temp.. warms days i could get the tank up to 76 tops maybe.. this is with 1500 watts of heater running non stop.. now on a normal winter day... it was 72 73 maybe.. WAY TO COLD and expensince i did the math its almost 100 bucks a month for heat.. wasnt happening... so. i thought what would work good. maybe a coil from my hot water tank??? hum how would i do that.. then i was at Cane56's house and he did the same thing on his awesome tank so after looking at that i decied to do it my self.. i bought a hot water recirulating pump off ebay a little giant for 90 bucks. i got cpvc (since my whole house is that anyways) and ran two runs over to the sumps. I got 50 feet of pex tubing 1/2 inch coiled it in the sump. I ran water out of the hot line from the hot water tank and in through the drain line of the hot water tank..

the veridct.. this works awesome.. tank was at 74 when i turned it on. and then i could watch it climb. i had to keep unpluging the temp controller cause i was rising fast and i did not want a major temp swing.. well this morning tank is at 80.2 right now and holding steady. i will have to see how much the hot water tank runs gas wise if that does not work. smellsfishy and i are goin gto hook up a larger loop to my boiler that heats my house.. i will get pictures today and post them just wanted to give an update as to whats going on with the tank...

hopefully today i can finish ripping out all the sand as well. and be back to BB and my new pump should be coming any day now for my CL i got a sequence wahoo to run 4 penductors.. should be a good amount of flow.....
    SeaofSorrow
    • Total Posts : 124
    • Reward points : 0
    Looking really good, Jarrod!!  I would like to see this in person some time.  The way you have used the water heater sounds like a really slick idea.  I'm glad that it's working out for you. 
    That new sequence pump should really rock!  You'll have mega flow in there. [sm=cheers.gif]
    clamdigr
    I'm glad that heater idea' s working for you Jarrod...do you think something similar would work to cool someone's tank if it were connected to the cold water lines.....?  What was up with your Ca reactor last weekend?
    -Mike-

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    actually thats going to be my plan for the summer. i am going to put a few more t's and valves in on the cold water side so just changing a few valves i can cool it.. probaly is if i need to heat at night and cool during the day......we will see..... anyone is welcoms to stop by if they are in the oxford area
    Hopkins
    MMMC Member
    • Total Posts : 333
    • Reward points : 596
    It would be cool if you could get some electric ball valves and rig up a device to test the temp. When it gets hot or cold it would automatically switch the ball vales for you.
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    that would be sweet to figure out...
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    i got mostly all the sand out of the tank last night and today.. fun job.. so most of the rock work had to be redone on the overflow side of the tank.. once things settle a bit i will take some shots i really like it now.. just looks way more natural to me.. 

NEXT PROJECT is making a new canopy. i have been tyring to make my current canopy i got with the tank work.. its just to short i have to raise it up to do anything in the tank and i have tried a pully system and now a garage door spring system nothign really works all that great so I am going to build a new canopy one that goes from the tank to the ceiling of the room so i can have large tall doors and just have the lights on a PVC rack and have them on a small lift like the sun lift systems and move them up and down whereever inside the canopy so that when i want to clean or work on the tank i have lots of room so off to home depot today for some wood and pipe
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    UPDATE ON MOLLIES i found the male dead today but the female had from what i could count 6 babies tried to get pics but they are small and fast.. hopeing they grow... they are about 1/2 inch now.. will try and get some pics soon...
    clamdigr
    Too bad about the male..good luck with babies though. Can't wait to see the new canopy and rockwork.
    -Mike-

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    thanks.. here is a pic of the heat coil in the sump...

Here is a pic of the recirc pump on the hot water tank

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    here are some new pics of the office side.. sorry about the salt creep on the glass i didnt wipe it all off yet from the spilling water from taking the sand out..

here is a closer shot

here are the two hall way shots

cmpenney
    The Prez
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Reward points : 1747
    It wouldn't be that hard to do the problem is the price of the valves. Typcially Saltwater safe ball valves run from $200 to $300 each!  But you could do the temperature controllers like these to automatically do the switching for you http://www.ttiglobal.com/Product.aspx?ProductID=4714
    ORIGINAL: Hopkins

It would be cool if you could get some electric ball valves and rig up a device to test the temp. When it gets hot or cold it would automatically switch the ball vales for you.
    Chad Penney - MASM President
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    clamdigr
    I don't think they need to be saltwater safe...freshwater runs through them. What about zone valves for lawn irrigation turned on /off by the aqua controller?
    -Mike-

clamdigr
    Jarrod, the new rockwork looks sweet..looks like you spread out the realistate. A few ????'s for ya'. Is that plumbing set-up similar to how they do it so there is always hot water  when you turn on a faucet, so you don't have waste water waiting for it to warm up? Also, does the pump run continuosly? This a really a good idea you have here, heating is not an issue for me, though cooling is a minor issue in the summer. I wonder though if the cold water would have as much effect as the hot water. (?)
    -Mike-

cmpenney
    The Prez
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Reward points : 1747
    The lawn valves would not hold up to the hot water and they leak alittle too so they woun't be the best choice. Since you use a pump to move the water through the coils it might be as simple as turning the pump on and off. I don't see any real need to use valves at all.
    Chad Penney - MASM President
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1