Hot!Aquarium Controllers, who's got one, whatcha got and have any tips to share? þðèñ

Author
slosht
  • Total Posts : 362
  • Scores: 2
  • Reward points : 1377

Aquarium Controllers, who's got one, whatcha got and have any tips to share? þðèñ

With the 10% off sales at some of the online vendors, I finally took the plunge and bought an aquarium controller. 

I was trying to decide between the Reefkeeper, Apex and Reef Angel lines of controllers.   I went with the Neptune AquaController Apex Lite.  When I did my research, the Apex had more positive feedback than the offerings from Digital Aquatics.  I also liked the idea of not having to purchase a module for an ethernet port to allow wireless remote access.  I really like the idea of the Reef Angel line, where it's basically a blank slate and you can program the controller to do anything, but I was turned off by the number of modules I would have to buy.  I know I'll have to buy additional modules for the Apex Lite, but I plan on  taking things slowly and acquiring the modules I need gradually over time and trying to purchase used if the deal is good. 

In fact, I found a great deal on a used AquaSurf module that controls the Tunze powerheads instead of the VDM module.  With the price I paid for the AquaSurf, I figured it was a low cost way to try it out.  Now I just need to get some controllable Tunze powerheads but I'm in no rush and am looking at the used market for them. 

I'll be using the Apex Lite to initially control my 29G Biocube, the usuall, lights, temp, ph.  I hope to fine tune my skills there and then once I get the 200G up, it will control it, along with the Biocube and eventually the QT tank. 

So who's running a controller, specifically the Neptune line and do you have any must have tips to share?

Replies (9) Related Threads

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    • Total Posts : 1188
    • Scores: 0
    • Reward points : 2487
    Re:Aquarium Controllers, who's got one, whatcha got and have any tips to share? þ (permalink)
    I am using the same thing you are.  I am using it mostly to control my LED lights.  We talking in chat about the unofficial users guide, which I think I priceless tool for the Apex
    slosht
    Re:Aquarium Controllers, who's got one, whatcha got and have any tips to share? þ (permalink)
    Yup, I'm sure I'll be leaning on that user guide a lot in the future.  I got the AquaSurf today, smaller than I thought it would be.  Now I just need my controller...

Anyone else using a controller?
    AJ
    • Total Posts : 1079
    • Reward points : 1556
    not here but certainly looked at them.  i like the idea of logs on parameters
    slosht
    I set up my internet access but didn't set the contoller up on the tank yet and then this week.  I did get a wireless access gaming adapter for the Apex to keep cords to a minimum.
    CableGuy
    • Total Posts : 170
    • Reward points : 291
    I just got a Apex a couple weeks ago. I need to get a couple more EB8's and temp/pH probes but I love it so far.

No tips as of yet, having fun with it though.
    -Adam
    Learning more everyday!
    slosht
    I got my pH probe from BRS during a group buy for $20 something.

CableGuy
    • Total Posts : 170
    • Reward points : 291
    slosht

I got my pH probe from BRS during a group buy for $20 something.

I have the ones it came with (Temp and pH) but I want 2 more of each + 2 or 3 more EB8's for my other systems.
    -Adam
    Learning more everyday!
    binford4000
    • Total Posts : 49
    • Reward points : 208
    I run the Apex. Only regret I had was buying the control pad! Once you get the wireless set up you never use it!!! I run a vdm for the LED's and three dc8's. everything is ran off the I Pad now and my android phone. The graphs allow you to monitor ph,temp and power consumption. The e mail alerts are a great addition also. I did get the brs probes but have found that they require recalibration allot. I now use the pin point lab grade probes. Cost is more but they stay calibrated longer and usually read the same. I run two of them so I get the fail safe feeling! The neptune line is well worth the money.
    subgenius13
    • Total Posts : 2
    • Reward points : 22
    I've been using an Apex for the last 6 months or so. I have been very pleased with it as I have moved and also travel quite often. This keeps my family from having to worry about anything while I am gone and just enjoy the tank. I made my own I/O breakout box with parts from Radio Shack and Monoprice. From this I have added an ATO that is controlled by a float switch. I have more control that I have ever had in the hobby. I have been reading through a number of DIY threads for custom LED projects that include a large effort with arduino controllers. If I was a EE, I suppose that project would be an interesting project. For me I would like to spend more time with my livestock. There is a steep point of entry, but I have really gotten my money's worth.
    Just my 2 cents!

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1