• Reward points : 835
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
sorry things didnt make it hope things stay settled in for you now though
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
I need to keep an eye on things very carefully for awhile to make sure it stays on track. Lot's more water changes are in my future and I need to rework the wahy my heaters are plugged in and see if I can come up with a way to have an alarm when a GFI trips.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
RE: Starting the build (permalink)
Well it looks like not everyone was upset about the recent problems in my tank. Came home today and it looks like a couple snails were gettin jiggy with it on my front glass last night:

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
OMG..that's a hoot.....kinda looks like a turkey.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
Now that you say that it does look like a turkey. Maybe it was my Bali Turkey snail that did it []
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
very cool.. see there is some good.....
cmpenney
The Prez
Yeah and I talked with Mom & Dad snail last night and they asked if i would be the babie's God Parent! So I'm pretty excited.

If all goes well I could have about 9,000 God Snails in a week or so!

[]
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
[sm=wave.gif]
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Well It's amazing how quickly life bounces back. The stable temps and multiple water changes have really let things come back. I was looking around the tank tonight and I was surprised how well things have recovered. My LR is totally crawling with critters right out in the open with all the lights on! They were literally everywhere I looked.

I also noted this:

Yes that is what you think it is.. Yet another cluster of snail eggs. This one is in just about the hardest place in the tank to get any good pictures of so you'll have to excuse the bad pic but believe me it is another bunch of eggs.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here are a few more pictures of the life that has come back. These are pictures of some of the LR in the tank. You'll have to keep in mind that just a little over a month ago this rock was completely dry/dead/sterile. It had no life on it what so ever. You can see in the pictures below the corraline algae starting to cover.

Attached Image(s)

cmpenney
The Prez
Here is an updated picture of the outside of the room. How close does it come to my intial concept:

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Wow that really came out nice Chad! What kind of snails are those?
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks, I'm still planning on putting the panel moulding on the botom parts of the wall. Just haven't gotten around to it yet....Maybe next week[]

As for the snails it's hard to tell. I didn't catch them in the act and I have Turbos, Ceriths, Astreas, and 2 types of Nassarius, Astreas are by far the species I have in the greatest numbers so if I had to guess I's say they where to blame..
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
I've ever seen any of my snails lay eggs, at least not on the glass where it's easy to see. I need to get some other species of snail in there, I have only Astrea currently. I didn't notice before that the blue paint below the chair rail is darker than above. Nice. And the picture frame moldings will really set it off when you get those done. 
-Mike-

Black71gp
Jarrod
very very cool!!! looks really nice you have done a lot just since i was there.. very very cool
cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks. It's getting there I bought some of the panel moulding to put it up but haven't had a chance to do it yet.

Egg Update: They hatched! Som of the first batch have hatched and there are a whole bunch of little tiny almost microcopic things on the glass around the the cluster or eggs. Since I've never seen these things before and they aren't anywhere in the tank except around the original egg mass I'm assuming they came out the eggs. I'll keep everyone updated on if I start seeing tiny versions of snails running aroud the tank.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I've had a couple interesting things to report.

First, My snails have been busy again. I noticed 4 more places this weekend with bunches of snail egss on the glass. It makes me wonder how many places on the rockwork that I can't see they have done this. If they have laid as even just as many clutches on the rock that would mean at least a dozen spawning events. I have to report that I haven't seen any little tiny snails anywhere in the the tank yet altough I've been keeping my eye outin the hopes that one of these days a baby snail will show up.

Secondly and something that I find even more interesting. It appears that my male anthias was attempting to start a spawning event as well. There was a bit of bads luck involved. The event happened right after I finished stirring up a bunch of sand in one of the connected tanks downstairs. Also all but 1 of my lights had already shut off. Last on the bad luck list our old camera that had a video mode has gone MIA and our video camera's battery was dead and it charger was also MIA. So I had to shoot this video in a cloudy tank with only one 65watt actinic light with my cell phone camera:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lpaj-Ql9ypo[/video] 

The male woudl swim above the group of females. Every once in a while he would sort of dance by turning back and forth 180 degrees over and over. Then he would dart down and do a U-turn under a female shimmying all the while and then return to a position above the group of females and then do it again. Every once in awhile he would swim right next to a female for a few moments shaking the whole time. There was no aggression in any of these actions which is what I thought was going on at first until I noticed that he wasn't really making any contact with the females and wasn't chasing them at all. Just doing his funky U-turn dives around the females.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
That's cool! At least you thought to use your cell phone, if it were me and all that happened I'd of said scr#w it.....
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
I'm hoping that he does it again around the same time tomorrow. I'm going to make sure that I have a camera ready this time so I can get some better shots. I watched this happening for awhile before it hit me that I should be recording it. I never saw any releases during any of this so no actual spawning took place that I saw however I've never seen him behave like that and it sure looked like some sort of spawning behavior.

I know that the chances of any fry actually surviving is about 0 but it would still be pretty awesome if they did spawn none the less.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
wow chad thats so awesome.. man and just think a few weeks ago everything was bad from heaters and now... your snails are on a breeding frenzy... then anthias... how cool is that.. tank looks like its doing really really well...

Hope they try again tonight and you can catch then with the camera again.. i would have not thought of my cell phone either.. would have been like.. how cool.. wish my camera was charged..lol...pretty good for a cell phone video...
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1