Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
You'll be surprised how un-impressive my seagrass tank is.

The tank is a 22 gallon tank that plumbed into my main system. Flow is provided by half of the output from a Mak4 pump. The other half of the flow goes to an identical tank that sits next to it. The sandbed is made up of Durascape white sand and is about 4-4.5" deep.

Most of the lighting for the better part of the time the system was setup was just light that filtered over from the tank sitting about 10" away from it. A couple months ago I put a Small CF light over the tank and the growth has picked up alittle.

From my experience with Seagrass Your setup sounds fine.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
wbeavers
MASM Member
  • Total Posts : 279
  • Reward points : 0
Chad I have a 90 breeder that might be good for your sump.  It ain't preaty.  Has two 3/4" bulkhead holes in one end.  48l x 24w x 18t 3/8" acrylic 
Proper research is the key to success in reefkeeping.

cmpenney
The Prez
That would be perfect Bill Length and and Height are dead on for what I'm hopign to find. Unfortunetly I only have 19" of space front to back under the tank so It won't fit. I really appreciate the offer though.

I'm probably going to end up using a tub at least until I can flush and sterilize the system downstair and then connect the two like I originally planned.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well now that I've been working on the tank I'm falling behind on the updates!

I finished pretty much all of my aquascaping now. I still want to build an arch to go between the two rock piles though. I'm working on a way to build it from LR in a way that would not show in of the support structure. I'm thinking of using acrylic rod epoxy and Aragocrete to hold the whole thing together.

Now that my rocks are in place I started filling the tank with RO water:

I think it's time for a new membrane in the RO unit. My setup is supposed to put out 75gpd. I know that is a "under perfect condidtions" number but it still took me almost a week to get this baby filled.

The entire area around the tank is covered in those fiberglass panels you see on the walls of public restrooms. They are bright white. Totally waterproof and I sealed all the joints with white silicon. This should keep any water from reaching the green board. I also packed the space between the studs with Styrofoam to cut down on noise making it into the dinning room.

Here is a pic with the 65Watt Actinic PCs On:
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
It's really coming along nicely!

AJ
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
oooooooooooooooo pretty..
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Looking great Chad! Nice to see this rolling again. I bet your frags are colonies by now, it'll be cool to see them in there.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
I picked up a very expensive( $12/lb) piece of LR to start seeding the tank and started moving some of my corals up.

I do have a handfull of colonies now and not much of anything you could call a frag anymore. However between the battle with the AEFW and the aiptasia overrun most of them have some damage. So now I'll have to refrag them to get rid of the bad stuff. I should be able to reglue the frags in groups to create what looks like older full colonies. After a few months I'm sure no one would be the wiser.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
that is some pricy rock..!!!!!!! hopefully no more aefw for you...or anyone really they suck
AJ
Your aquascaping looks fantastic!

That new rock looks loaded with great stuff!

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
It is pricey but it is also some really good stuff! It's covered in Halimedia, and coraline. It's also got a couple burrowing clams stil alive in it, at least 2 medussa worms, a nice mass of small feather dusters, and a few polyps on it. All on a 2lb rock. I wouldn't imagine using hte stuff to do all my rock but it's great for seeding a new tank with micro & macro fauna..

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
It's from Pet Station in Jackson. As far as quality goes I've never seen better anywhere else. You just have to get over the sticker shock!

I'm actually thinking of picking up another small rock today to help speed things up. The diatom phase of the new tank process has started so I stopped moving corals for a few days to let things settle down. Hopefully another infusion of micro-fauna will give things a bit of a kick start and get me though the phases alittle quicker.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
That is a good looking chunk of rock!
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Black71gp
Jarrod
got to see this tank in person.. very nice set up!!!. rock and sand and fish look great. WIsh i would have had more time.. but for sure worth stopping by.  love the new anthias i hope they do well for you.  they looked happy in the tank. 
cmpenney
The Prez
So far they are eating very well. They love the artic pods and I've seen some of them take pelleted food as well. Maybe this time I'll be able to keep them as my luck in the past hasn't been all that great with anthias. I did get a nice group this time (6) rather than the one or two I had purchased in the past and I got them from Preuss and I've always had very good luck with everything I've gotten from them in the past.

Here's a couple pics:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I got the last pieces of LR into the display and moved move of my livestock and corals up. After seeing Jarrod's Aquascaping I decided that I just had to build some sort of arch into the system. I'm pretty happy with the result. At least on the second attempt. the first time I tried to do this it collpased after being in the tank for a day. The plumbers expoxy by it's self just wasn't enough. I ended up drilling a hole through both rocks and inserting a plastic rod and then glueing them back together with regular 2 part epoxy. They are pretty well fused now. Here is the results:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
That looks awesome!  I really like the combination of fish and corals.

It will be interesting to watch this tank mature.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks AJ. I'm pretty happy with how the tank is coming along at this point. I just need to get the system downstairs cleaned out and connect the two now.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Time for some updates:
I have gotten the last of the livestock out of the basement system. Drained out the water and refilled with freshwater. I'm hoping that this process will finally kill off all the aiptasia and bubble algae (The later of which has been the bane of my existence for years). I'll try to perform bi-weekly or so water changes on the system to get everything flushed out and all the detrius siphoned out of the tank, LR rinsed off, and any SW pests purged. My hope is that the nutrients from all the die off will be removed with the freshwater changes and with the aggressive removal of detritus and rinse of LR it should cure all the rock and leave me with basically a clean sterile system to repopulate with nice friendly critters...

As for construction:
  The trim is all up on around the tank now. I'm pretty happy with the end results as the pictures in the next post will show. I still haven't done much more than rough framing on the room behind the tank however. I do have some of the greenboard to put on the studs but I need to do some more wiring and plumbing before I hang any. I still need to finish up the mudding on around the new access door to the tank room as well. My plan is to have the plumbing, wiring and drywall finished up by this weekend. I'm planning to tile the floor in that room so I have to lay door some cement backer board and toying with the idea of putting a mop sink of sorts in the back of the room with a floor drain. I'm just sure how much I'd use something like that in the room as most maintenance would be done from the basement. I think that a small fridge to keep fish food in might actually be more useful.

On the Fish Front:
  All but one of he Anthias are doing great. They are eating well on Arctic Pods, Rod's food, and food from the MASM food workshop and I've even seen them take a few pellets. Unfortunately one of the six is doing exactly what every other anthias I've tried in the past has done. It will go after the food but immediately spits it back out. As a result the others all getting fat and I'm watching this one just slowly wasting away. Which means I'm probably going to have to buy two more to replace him once he passes.

The Imperator is doing fine. I see him chase the other fish alittle here and there but he never makes contact and it seems more like he is just letting everyone know he's in charge. I've also not seen him nip at any corals lately. Which is of course a good thing. When I first put him in I saw him nip at a few of them but no real damage was done and he moved on. He has decided however that ripping seagrass apart is great fun! I'm probably going to end up pulling it out of the tank and moving it elsewhere in the system. Once I get the basement system flushed, setup, and tied into the upstairs I'll probably end up moving it back down there.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 7 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial