Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
all you people with fancy floor drains!!!!!!!!! At least I know you (chad) had to do some work to get one.. same thing i gotta do....
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Huh, Floor drain, I never would have thunk it... I need to use that.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Yeah I had to break up the floor and run the line across the basement using a shovel and pick axe. Jarrod has been in my basement and seen how low the ceiling is in there. Swinging a pick axe is not an easy thing to do especially in the hard pan clay that's under the concrete.

It was well worth it in the end though. Without it there would be no way for me to do most of the automation that I've done.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I knew theings had been just going to well. Let me just start out by saying that I have learned to hate Seios! We had to go to a birthday party for my neice at 11:30 today and when I returned this is what I found:

Needless to say I'm not pleased. I still haven't seen most of my fish and my corals are just covered in sand and silt particles.

While the Seios don't seem to have the same catistrofic failure issues that the Rio's have they still suffer a terrible engineering flaw with regard to the design of the mounting system. The simple fact is the these pumps are just too big a bulky to be held in place with 4 suction cups with 3/4" long stems on them. It's just too much weight. This is about the 4th time now that this pump has come loose and made a mess of things. The first 3 times only one or 2 of the suction cups gave way and the pump just shifted or swung down and while they stirred up the sand a bit they didn't do any significant damage. This time the whole thing came loose and dropped right down in the sand. It's a total mess!

I can't wait for the middle of the week for my new Vortechs to show up so I can get this thing out of my tank once and for all!

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
That stinks Chad. I have never been fond of the seio mount either, my friend has one, and we used the power cord a safety to keep it from falling all the way to the sand bed. I think the Vortechs are a HUGE step in the BETTER direction.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
cmpenney
The Prez
They were originally going to be here this weekend but there was some sort of mixup with shipping addresses and they didn't come. I'm supposed to have them sometime in teh middle of next week. I really hope they show up. I'm really frustrated right now.

The tank is slowly starting to clear now. I've blown off most of of the corals and so far they look ok. My angel, 2 tangs, cardinals, and gobies all seem ok but I only think I've seen 1 of my anthais out. Which has me quite worried. Usually they are out all the time so to see no activity from all but 1 of them troubles me. I've shut down all but my main return pump in he hopes that things will settle out faster. I wish I still had a canister filter here. What I need so some sort of mechincal filteration to remove all the particles from the water.

We probably lossened the mount up messing with the tank and testing the surge yesterday.  
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
hopefully it clears up soon!!!!!. suction mounts always suck...
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
That sucks Chad!!! But, I gotta say it.....don't hate the pump...hate the mount. Suction cups be dam@ed!! I have both my Seio's on mag mounts. Also recently upgraded the MJ mods (4) to mag mounts as well. That was painfull to the wallet, but necessary. And I agree that Vortec's are the best.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
clamdigr
ORIGINAL: Black71gp

all you people with fancy floor drains!!!!!!!!! At least I know you (chad) had to do some work to get one.. same thing i gotta do....

Hey ...easy now....I did build a room around mine! [][]   I had to cut the floor in my shop for the Humidifier & RO drain.
-Mike-

Black71gp
Jarrod
true true....
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: clamdigr
That sucks Chad!!! But, I gotta say it.....don't hate the pump...hate the mount. Suction cups be dam@ed!! I have both my Seio's on mag mounts.

My point was with the total engineering of the product and I did say that they had corrected the issues that surrounded the Rio's with regard to the actual pump design but then total failed the design of the mounting system.

I was thinking that should have done so sort of mag mount while I was cleaning up the mess in my tank. I did a bunch of clean up, blasting the sand and silt of the rockworks and corals later in the evening and did mount the seio back up. I kept an eye on it and one of the suctions had already come lose again. Even after I cleaned the glass and everything. I let the pump run for awhile just to help keep the water moving so the rockwork would get cleaned off and the to hopefully keep more stuff from settling on the corals. however I unplugged the pump before going to bed last night and will not running it from this point on unless I'm home.

I borrowed a HOT Magnum canister filter w/ Micron filter from AJ last night and put that on my system which has helped clear the water alot. By the time I went to bed I was able to see through the tank again. Still hazy but much better than it looked in the afternoon and early evening

If all goes well in 2-3 days I'll be pulling it out anyways. And if I ever use it again in anything other than my barebottom frag tank( which is where it was before) I'll be building a mag mount for it first.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here is a pic of what the rockwork looked like after the water cleared enough to take pictures:

Kind of reminds me of snow covered mountains with the white sand covering everything.  I've blown all this stuff off now so the rock loks normal again.

Here is a pic of the angel hanging out in the crater:

He seemed to like it in there. Until I got around to pushing all the sand back he seemed to hang out in that crater alot. I remember when we used to have a cabin up north on a lake in the spring fish would create craters like this in the shallows to lay eggs in. They way he kept hanging out in there reminded me alot seeing those fish swiming over their nests.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I'm sorry to report that my male anthias seems to be the only victim of the sand storm incident. I guess I'm happy that it was only him and everything else is ok but it really stinks to lose him. I found in wedged into the rockwork next the epicenter of the disaster with his mouth full of sand. I'm not sure if he got stuck trying to get away from the sand storm or what exactly happened since everything else is fine but he didn't survive.  

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
[][][]
clamdigr
Thanks stinks!!! Esp. after getting to see him change over ...
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
I'm hoping that another one changes to take his place. I had been toying with the idea of getting a couple more. Now I pretty much NEED to.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I came home today to a nice surprise.

One of my Threadfin Cardinals is mouthbrooding!

I had to look twice becuase I couldn't believe eyes. I wish I had something setup to handle them.

I did find some information on RC and MOFIB about breeding these but the threads are long and I haven't had the time to read through them to find out if anyone has grown viable fry to adulthood.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
how cool!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
cmpenney
The Prez
That's what I thought.
Between the snails the Anthias and the cardinals my tank has been crazy. Maybe I should stop playing Barry White in the room behind the tank[]

I wish I had something setup to try and rear them. I know that there is no way in the world that I'd be able to catch that male and get the egs from him. I had been thinking about building a setup to do breeding. No I'm not trying to steal your thunder Tal[]. But I would like to try and see if I can do it,. I just haven't figured out what I want to try and breed. Now it maybe the choice has been made for me.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I think I need to leave for a few days more often. Not only did my Cardinals spawn while I was out of town but one of my remaining Anthias is changing again!!!!

This time I caught it earlier than last time so here are some pics:

And one of the females for comparison:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 11 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1