Hot!Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241

Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef

Okay, after so much pestering from a couple of friends here, I am FINALLY going to put together a build thread. I'll start this thread WAY back.... You ready for this:

This is my tank way back in October 2003! I still have the rock, but the sand and TANK itself are long gone. This is a 135 gallon tank that was built into a wall.

My halides, these I just ditched last year.

Check out this skimmer:

What a POS! It was a Kent nautilaus, and honestly it did okay for what it was, and for what I knew at the time.

I miss this fish:

Check out my first SPS, from All Wet Pets, Brent's old store! This was sold a blue milli... (According to my caption) Uh, it never turned blue!

How about this, Jan 2004, I had started using Kalk a month or so before. Can you see the coralline here? WOW!! I was shocked and HAPPY, little did I know how big of a PITA Coralline algae can be:

Here we go, this is my trumpet.... I bought it with 2 heads for $10 a head from the trop! It was a GREAT investment, I have been selling it once a year at least for $5/head and each time it has brought in over $100!

More later....
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike

Replies (235) Related Threads

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    • Total Posts : 1142
    • Reward points : 835
    RE: Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef (permalink)
    YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!![][][][]
    Poseidon
    Check out this SPS!!!! I had NO BUSINESS buying this coral when I did, it DIED shortly after, and I have ever seen another one that looks like this:

Man... I WISH I could have kept this coral alive, it really was THAT bright!!!!
    Poseidon
    The other thing that I really miss about that 135 is the natural sunlight that used to hit the tank in the morning. The colors of the fish and corals was just incredible during that time, look at this picture of my Odonus Niger I mean how cool is this:

I still have a few of these, I have tried to get RID of them several times, but I am glad they are still around... Okay I have ONE in the tank right now, but they grow pretty fast:

You can see the color natural sunlight provides in these pictures, if I ever get to build a house, I will make sure to use solar tubes to provide at least some natural sun to the tank.
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    ya if i ever build a house its going to be built around the tank so it faces south and gets the most sun all day..
    Mike
    • Total Posts : 198
    • Reward points : 68
    You could co a greenhouse room Jarrod (kinda like the trop)
    Poseidon
    Okay, to switch gears a little bit...

That is one of my FAVORITE pictures of my tank, cause it has Makayla in it! Makayla is only 8 months old in this picture, her playpen was kept under the tank, and she would stare at the tank for hours, eventually she pulled herself up to get a better look at the tank. In this picture she was laughing at the clown fish (which I still have) that were hosting in hammer coral (which I sold). It was a priceless moment, this is the only copy of this picture I have left, I lost the original in a hard drive failure... :mad:
    Poseidon
    On to the 90.....

This is the first image of the current 90 gallon tank, I had some issues with an employer when Makayla was born, so I ended up moving as I could not afford the house the 135 was in, and the 135 would not fit into this new place, so.... downsized!

This sure looks like a LOT of sand, dry:

We know that it compresses when wet though. This is 4 bags of southdown from Home depot. This was the only time I found the old castle brand in Flint, and when I went back to get more, it was GONE!

Check out this flow....

That is a MAG12 wide open and my CPR overflow. I had a LOT of flow in that 90, with the 12 and a Tunze 6060, it was a battle to NOT have a sandstorm. Hopefully I won't have any problems with the Vortech that will be here TOMORROW.
    Poseidon
    That is it for tonight, I have put the kids to bed, and then off to bed myself....
    clamdigr
    • Total Posts : 1088
    • Reward points : 923
    Yes! Been waiting for this one! Can't wait to see pics of all those nice corals, last I saw them was through a small opening on the temporary holding tank during the move. Keep 'em coming Mike! 
    -Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Reward points : 1747
    I love the pics with the natural light.

We have to redo the roof over the part of the house the tank is in and I had been considering putting in some of those tubes to pipe in sunlight in the evening..I think my mind is made up now!
    Chad Penney - MASM President
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    I wish there was a way i could get natural light now for the tank.. i get a small glimps in the basement at a certain time only for a few min.. i love when the sharks or rays swim through it.. like i said.. the house will be built around a display tank using mostly sun for light....
    Poseidon

ORIGINAL: cmpenney

I love the pics with the natural light.

We have to redo the roof over the part of the house the tank is in and I had been considering putting in some of those tubes to pipe in sunlight in the evening..I think my mind is made up now!

If you can do it Chad, don't hesitate! I really miss that part, and I am a firm believer in the natural sun helping the corals grow. That tank would grow those green polyps, GSP, Montipora, that Milli, and Kenya tree like nobodies business. I can't match that growth rate even today. I did NOT have any issues with nuisance algae either. Well, not any worse then I do know.
    Poseidon
    Okay, time for some more history....

This is the first FTS of my current tank. Of course this is before all the critters were moved in from the 135. This house was a temporary stop for me and the family. It was a manufactured home, that while nice, just didn't suit us. We have to much STUFF and need a basement, (for a sump right?) garage, etc. So the tank was only set up here for about 6 months before we MOVED again! YIKES.... More on that later. Here are some pictures from this stop.

One of the things that we missed desperately at this place was AC! The "community" had a rule that you could NOT add window AC unless it was oe of the indoor units that only had a hose connection to the window. Well those are EXPENSIVE and are much less powerful then a standard window AC, oh and did I mention that they pop the wimpy 15 amp breakers that this place was wired with? So what to do? ADD FANS!!

Add a CHILLER!:

This chiller was not big enough, it was a 1/10th hp unit from PA that I had read several reviews on. The reviews stated people were running it on 90 gallon tanks with no problems, so I gave it a try. It helped, but it was ON about 40 minutes of every 60, not very efficient huh? I called PA, and they agreed to let me exchange it for a 1/4hp unit that was on sale. That was excellent customer service, and I had my new unit in a day! I did not take any pictures of the 1/4hp unit, but it sure worked well! It was on for more like 10-15 minutes every hour. The downside to chillers is they are EXPENSIVE to run. My 1/4hp drew 650W when it was ON! That is the same wattage as my LIGHTS!

More....
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    not having A/C sucks.. thats my biggest complaint about my house.... glad i have not had to get a chiller yet.. those are Expensive.... I had no idea  you moved the tank that many times!!!!!!
    Poseidon
    Ya, Lots of MOVING! Hopefully we can stay here for a while, I seem to get the itch to move every 2-3 years. I don't know why, I just do. Now that the kids are in a GOOD school system, I am definitely going to stay in Swartz Creek. I really like this community...
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    then the next move will just be to a larger tank!!!
    Poseidon
    I can live with that! I am hopeful the economy will recover enough for the Wedding photography work to get back to previous levels of 15-20 weddings a year. If I can get back to that point, then either buying or building a house becomes a possibility again. If I can get there, I will certainly have a larger tank!!!! No QUESTION about it!
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    Good stuff..

We don't have AC either and I've had to resort to fans many times in the past. It stinks. We did live in a small house just after we got married that one large window unit cooled most of the house so that was almost central air.

Now I just rely on the basement to help with cooling,

So do you have AC in the current place?
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    BTW I like the way the fans are setup in that pic? How did you mount them to the board?
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1