Hot!Breeding Room

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2725
  • Reward points : 2813

Breeding Room

I'm going to start a thread showing the progress of my new Breeding Room.  I'm not calling it a "Fish" room since I may breed more than just fish in there.

I'd like to keep this thread separate from the thread discussing actual breeding subjects... this is for physical aspects of the room and system set-up[]

The room I'm using has been a "junk" room forever... as you can see by the light switch plate, it's been a LONG time since this room saw any changes [sm=undecided.gif]

Regarding thte switchplate... I'm the only kid that's ever been in this house and I'm 42...

It took a while to decide on a color and I ended up going with the same color that Mike picked.  It's growing on me... it's Glidden and it covered great!

Replies (307) Related Threads

Black71gp
    Jarrod
    • Total Posts : 1142
    • Reward points : 835
    RE: Breeding Room (permalink)
    cool thanks for the updates!!!
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    • Total Posts : 3837
    • Reward points : 1747
    Tal looks like you have some cleaning to do.

Are you planning to install some racks?

Is some of the stuff going to plumbed in the rest of your system?
    Chad Penney - MASM President
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: cmpenney

Tal looks like you have some cleaning to do.

Are you planning to install some racks?

Is some of the stuff going to plumbed in the rest of your system?

Ha ha ha... Garage sale as soon as the weather warms up a bit!

For the brood stock and grow out tanks I'm building a wood rack... got some great ideas from MOFIB.org and a friend just offered me a metal restaurant rack that I might use for my phyto, rotifers, and larvae tanks... for free[]

No, this will not be plumbed to my other systems.
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    That's cool to come across a deal like that at just the right time. I'm curious to see how this all comes together. I would kill for an extra room in my place to do something like this. My basement stinks and we have no extra room on the main floor.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    clamdigr
    • Total Posts : 1088
    • Reward points : 924
    The switch cover is very appropriate, the little fishes will love it! When I first painted my fish room that blue (Spectrum Blue btw) I thought, 'whoa, what have I done!'....but in the end, I couldn't be happier with it.
    -Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: cmpenney

That's cool to come across a deal like that at just the right time. I'm curious to see how this all comes together. I would kill for an extra room in my place to do something like this. My basement stinks and we have no extra room on the main floor.

I don't really have a basement and as I said, this room has always been used for junk... I think this is a better use for the room... don't you?  The breeding and grow out tanks will all be plumbed together.  Tommyb is going to show me how to drill the holes in the tanks and give me a few pointers on the plumbing[]

Thank goodness for friends!
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    It is good to have friends with skills! I could have used him with my 10 gallon for the new surge device. Maybe that one tank wouldn't have broken.

We had a junk room but then we had an opps named Grant and had to convert it to a bedroom. If I ever win the lotto I'm going to have one of my crawl space dug out to make a nice basement room for fish...
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: clamdigr

The switch cover is very appropriate, the little fishes will love it! When I first painted my fish room that blue (Spectrum Blue btw) I thought, 'whoa, what have I done!'....but in the end, I couldn't be happier with it.

The switch cover will be going, for sure! ugh!  I just put it back up there for the pic[]

I wasn't sure about the color either but I think I'm gonna like it.  I liked how well it covered in one coat!  I was looking at a Valspar color called Deep Blue Ocean, along with about 20 other colors, LOL  I'll be able to tell better when I get the lights set up too.
    funnyguyMI
    • Total Posts : 1
    • Reward points : 0
    Looking forward to watching this progress.

What types of fish are you thinking about breeding?
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    Did more painting today[]

swampjeep
    MASM Member
    • Total Posts : 1
    cool, I'll be watchignhte progress too
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: michaelgamrat

Looking forward to watching this progress.

What types of fish are you thinking about breeding?

Here's a link to the actually fish part of the project: http://www.masm.org/mForums/tm.aspx?m=18073

I have a pair of clowns (see above thread) but I'm thinking about getting a few cardinals too...
    Poseidon
    • Total Posts : 307
    • Reward points : 241
    Look at you go Tal! I think this will be awesome, I have been tossing around the idea of doing Orchid Dottybacks.... They are cool fish, and are just expensive enough at retail prices that they may actually cover the cost of the breeding racks.
    Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
    wbeavers
    MASM Member
    • Total Posts : 279
    Cool Tal!  I found out that the easier way to drill 10 gallon, and smaller tanks is to completely submerge them.  This reduces the stresses.  When I decided to practice this on a 10 gallon to learn, I kept cracking the tank.  So I found that tip on the internet.  After that I was able to consistently drill them with no problems.  Let me know if I can help you with that or bent PVC.  I also have a few tanks, that I might be able to swap you for future fish.
    Proper research is the key to success in reefkeeping.

clamdigr
    • Total Posts : 1088
    • Reward points : 924
    Tal, post your plans for the tank stand you pm'd me about so we can discuss in the thread. What is your timing plan for set-up? If you want help with the stand, I might be able to pitch in. 
    -Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: wbeavers

Cool Tal!  I found out that the easier way to drill 10 gallon, and smaller tanks is to completely submerge them.  This reduces the stresses.  When I decided to practice this on a 10 gallon to learn, I kept cracking the tank.  So I found that tip on the internet.  After that I was able to consistently drill them with no problems.  Let me know if I can help you with that or bent PVC.  I also have a few tanks, that I might be able to swap you for future fish.

Thanks for the tip!  I'll mention it to Tommyb, he's going to be helping me out with the drilling[]  Sounds like a logical way to reduce the stress.

As of right now I have 5x10G's, a 20long and a 55 for a sump.  I'm getting a 20high tomorrow.  I'll let you know when I get to the PVC point.

Thanks!
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    ORIGINAL: clamdigr

Tal, post your plans for the tank stand you pm'd me about so we can discuss in the thread. What is your timing plan for set-up? If you want help with the stand, I might be able to pitch in. 

Mike,

I haven't decided on the specific plans yet but I'm getting there.  As far as a timeline goes, I'd like it done now[] but in reality I'm hoping to start building next weekend... the following weekend is my presentation so I'm gonna be a bit tied up with that.

There is one design in this thread, near the end: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1482&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=50

BaboonScience posts some great shots of joint construction about half way down in this thread: http://www.marinebreeder.org/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1661
    Fishtal
    The Prez
    Ok, the painting is finished and I have questions about plumbing... not my strong suit[]

What size PVC should I use? 1/2" or 3/4"?  and what type of return pump would I need?  4X10G, 2X20G, 55G sump... for now[]

Thanks
    wbeavers
    MASM Member
    • Total Posts : 279
    I have this pump for sale, I think it would be a good choice. 
    Iwaki MD30RLXT Water Pump Japanese Motor Slightly Used $130 http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=IWMD-30RLTX&Category_Code=Iwaki

Proper research is the key to success in reefkeeping.

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 16 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2019 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1