Author
mhowe9
Treasurer
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Scores: 0
  • Reward points : 2511

Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2

Breeding Journal DataSheet
This first post should be updated regularly to include new information as events take place or changes are made to your system

General
Species: Pterapogon kauderni
Social Structure: pair
Size of Individuals: Approx. 3 inches     
Age of Individuals: unknown
Date added to Tank: 4/28/2010

Broodstock Tank Details
Size of Tank: 29G Cube
Substrate Details: sand
Filtration Details: bioballs and live rock
Water Changes: 5 gal monthly
Water Temperature: 80F
Lighting: PC lighting
Lighting Cycle: varies not on timer
Other Tank Inhabitants: 3 threadfin cardinals, 3 juvenile occelaris clowns

Broodstock Feeding Details
Food Types: Sally's mysis shrimp
Feeding Schedule: 2x per day

Spawning Details
Date of First Spawn: 4/28/2010 per store employee (see below)
Spawn Time of Day: unknown /
Dates of Consecutive Spawns: 7/21/2010, 8/14/2010 , 9/21/2010, 12/23/2010, 1/16/11, 2/13/2011, 3/18/11, 4/17/11; 5/14/11 
Courtship Details: Didn't see courtship
Egg Size: approx. 1mm
Egg Color: pinkish
Egg Count: unknown

Hatch Details
Hatch Date: 9/7/10; 10/13/10
Hatch Time of Day: unknown
# Days after Spawn: 22
Larvae Description: mini adults

Larval Tank Details
Temperature:
Size of Larval Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:

Larval Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Metamorphosis/Settlement
Date of Settlement Start:
Days after Hatch:
Date of Settlement End:
Description of Fry:

Grow-Out Tank Details

Temperature:
Size of Grow-Out Tank:
Substrate Details:
Other Tank Decor:
Filtration Details:
Lighting:
Lighting Cycle:
Water Changes:
Size at Transfer:
Age at Transfer

Grow-Out Feeding Details
Food Types:
Feeding Schedule:

Additional Information
Miscellaneous Information:

You will be required to provide photographic evidence in this thread of each event submitted for the MBI Program.
If your thread does not contain these photos the MBI Committee will not be able to approve your reports.

Replies (32) Related Threads

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 þðèñò (permalink)
    I was out delivering flyers for the conference today and found a pair of banggai with the male holding.  I asked the employee if they for sales and he said yes.  He told me that they just noticed the male holding this morning.  So I went ahead and purchased the fish.  Unfortunately the male dropped the eggs when he was put in the bag.

When I got home, I quickly threw together a makeshift egg tumbler out of a pop bottle, some airline tubing, and an airstone.  I placed the make shift egg tumbler into the BRT where my juvenile clowns are living.  I don't have very high hopes about getting these to hatch but we will see how it goes.  Here are some pics

Eggs (Day 1)

Makeshift eggs tumbler

I will post some pics of the fish tomorrow after they settle into their new home.
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Re:Breeding Journal, Species: Pterapogon kauderni (Banggai Cardinal) Take 2 þðèñò (permalink)
    I finally was able to sit down for a couple of minutes and do some research.  Kind of bad timing since I had my daughter by myself tonight.  Based on that we now have Egg Tumbler on the Fly 2.0.  Basically the same as the first but I inverted the pop bottle.

Here is a pic.  You can the eggs better in this pic too.

Arc Katana
    The Wanderer
    • Total Posts : 84
    • Reward points : 258
    Nothing is better than necessity for invention!

Good luck
    Barelycuda
    • Total Posts : 15
    • Reward points : 139
    Good luck on the eggs.
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    The pair seemed to have settled in a little better to their new home.  I haven't seen them eat but they seem less stressed.  I have added some plastic plants that I had from my old freshwater tank.  They seem to like to hang out in them.  Here are a couple of pics of the pair

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Egg update:  The new tumbler is working a lot better.  There has been a lot better egg movement.  The eggs have broken apart from the mass and are tumbling individually.  Other than that, they seem to be doing ok
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Sorry if I didn't update this but the egg tumbler was a failure.  I ended up moving these guys a couple of weeks ago to a 29G cube that I had setup in my living room.  I went and looked today and the male is carrying eggs.  I was able verify it since he didn't eat tonight and I saw him chewing the eggs on a couple of occasions.  Here is a ok video (Sorry for some of the algae, I didn't clean since I didn't want to spook him). 

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1M41OLZqpYU[/video]
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Bad News ... He ate the eggs.  So that's a 2 day hold.  I guess that's a start.  Here some pics I took the other night that I didn't have a chance to upload.

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    We have another spawn today.  Hopefully we can do better than 2 days this time.  I have really loading them up on food.  21 days makes the release date on September 4th, right in the middle of MACNA.  Do you think I should pull them before or wait till after MACNA?  Here is a pic of the male.

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    We are on day 7 and still holding.  Will have to look into getting a baby brine shrimp hatchery going

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    We have made it through day 13.   I am leaning heavily towards pulling eggs before I leave for MACNA.  I need to get my brine shrimp hatchery going and some sort of eggs tumbler made this weekend.  Here are some current pics of the male

Fishtal
    The Prez
    • Total Posts : 2725
    • Scores: 10
    • Reward points : 2816
    Great shots!
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Thanks Tal!
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Pretty much decided the I am going to pull the eggs on Wednesday before I leave for MACNA, which would be Day 18.  I set up a nursery in an unoccupied 20G that I have plumbed into my broodstock system  Here a couple of pics.

Makeshift egg tumbler

Fake urchin

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    Alright, I pulled the eggs.  They are incubating in the glass in growout tank.

Here are some pics.  18 day post spawn

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    I got back from MACNA last night.  Here are the pics of the baby Banggai - 23 Day post spawn.  Notice the yolk sac still at the backside of the fish.  I will be starting artemia in the next couple of days

mhowe9
    Treasurer
    I just took another look at them.  They look a little bit more developed, less of a yolk sac.  I did notice some feeding response when I added the artemia.  I counted a grand total of 5 at various stages of development.  We will see how this goes.
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    It looks like 2 of them have settled.  Here is the best I can do right now.  I know the video is kind of bad. 

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xO3xlkySe8k[/video]
    mhowe9
    Treasurer
    The 2 remaining fry have been swimming high in water column today than they have before.  At this point,  I am going to consider the other 3 eggs in tumbler a loss.  Below is a better video showing the 2 remaining fry.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctw5x_meRS8[/video] 
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2020 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1