Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
pista01
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
ORIGINAL: cmpenney

IThe plumbers expoxy by it's self just wasn't enough. I ended up drilling a hole through both rocks and inserting a plastic rod and then glueing them back together with regular 2 part epoxy.

I did the same thing with mine, except I didn't use epoxy to hold them together.  I figured the weight of the rock would hold them in place.  I wanted to be able to take it all apart one day.  I recycled plastic coat hangers, as it's all I had laying around when I started to assemble the structure.  I ended up pinning every rock to the one below it, even if it felt sturdy already.  I had plenty of coat hangers and the drill bit was still good

Nice job on the arch.  It really adds character.
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Since there was some decent stress on the connection due to the span of the arch I couldn't get away without using some sort of glue. I did use soem of the plumbers epoxy to attach it to the rocks at each end but it provides more of a form-fit craddle for the rocks to sit in then as actual glue.

And thanks, BTW, I'm very happy with how it turned out as well.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Could you feed live blackworms to the anthias?

Maybe that would help the straggler eat?

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
It might work. I've never used black worms before. At this point if he hasn't eaten anything I've thrown at him I don't know if it would be any different but it might beworth a shot.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
rarelyseriousb
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 211
dont know if you have seen this but it might help. here
-spike
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
The trim looks really nice, I bet your wife is happy to be getting the dining room back too! Have you tried live food for the Anthias? I can't remember if you posted that or not....might get her going at least. 
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
Mike
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 68
Chad,

The tank looks really good bro!  Been a while since I have been able to get a look at the board but it looks really good.
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
nice chad.. looks to be coming along pretty dang good.. I need to feed my angle growth hormorns.. yours looks so awesome!!
cmpenney
The Prez
That's a very interesting article Spike and it's written by our good friend Jay to boot.

ORIGINAL: rarelyseriousb

dont know if you have seen this but it might help. here
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
She's definitely happier! I've still got drywall work to do around the new doors and an few other places in teh room yet. I'm hoping to have the time to get that wrapped up this week so I can get the room painted by end of the weekend at the latest. Once that is done and the rest of the trim is up in the room THEN she'll be really happy.

ORIGINAL: clamdigr

The trim looks really nice, I bet your wife is happy to be getting the dining room back too! Have you tried live food for the Anthias? I can't remember if you posted that or not....might get her going at least. 
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: Black71gp

nice chad.. looks to be coming along pretty dang good.. I need to feed my angle growth hormorns.. yours looks so awesome!!

Someone remind me to put a pad lock on my tank when Jarrod comes over. I might have to frisk you and make sure you aren't carrying any plastic bgs in your pockets before you can come in the fish room []
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well it's time for an update. And unfortunately things haven’t been so good.

As I had feared in my previous post the one Anthias that wasn’t eating did finally go to the big fish bowl in the sky..So now I’m down to 5. The good news is that the 5 remaining seem to be doing well. They are eating good on a combination of Rod Food, MASM food, and even are taking small pellets. I’d like to get a nice autofeeder to put on the tank so I can spread out feedings better especially with them taking pellet food. I recall Mike M. mentioning that he had a lifeguard unit and had been happy with it so I might just go that route. Mounting may be an issue with some of the units I’ve looked at as they are designed for glass tanks and mine is acrylic.

Now for the really bad news.  First the back story: Because of pest issues I had in my system downstairs which was to be my sump I was not able to hook up the new tank directly to the existing system from the start like I had planned all along to do. Instead I made a temporary sump out of a Rubbermaid container and placed it under the tank with some good LR, a heater, and my old Little Giant MDX-4 pump return water to the tank. I also had a seio, Korelin, and a pair of nano streams in the tank for additional flow. This worked ok for a short time, by short I mean about 4 days,  on about the 5th day I happen to be in the dinning room working on stuff and heard a Pop! This was actually the second time I had heard this noise in the last week. The first time it was the Cap in one of my MH ballasts blowing up. The casing I had put the ballast in was not allowing heat to escape and the casing on the cap gave out. The light in question stayed on but when I turned it off along with everything else to find out what “Popped” it would not turn back on. I was lucky enough to have an extra ballast I could steal the Cap out of and got it working again along with more holes drilled in the enclosure to better vent the heat. So this time when I went it the room I was expecting to shut off the lights and find that one would not come back on. I didn’t even get that far as soon as I walked in I noticed that the pump sounded odd. It was slowing down, slowly little by little you could hear it slowing down and then with a few moments it stopped altogether. Turns out there is a Cap in the motor of the pump which also decided to retire. This time I had no backup cap lying around. So I was forced to pull the pump from the protein skimmer downstairs to get by.

Another problem I was faced with was that it was nearly impossible to do water changes with the way things were at this time. My sump was way undersized and getting RO water into a mix container in the space behind the tank, heated, mixed and then into the tank was a real undertaking. It was becoming apparent that I really needed to do a water change badly.  Some of my corals were beginning to look somewhat unhappy probably due to rising Nitrate levels with the ratio of fish to water in the system as it was now. Remember I have planned to have 200+ gallons of off-display water with the basement sumps tied in which would easily handle the bioload of my 10 fish plus corals. But right now I didn’t have that. Just my little 30 gallon Rubbermaid tub.

On top of all that I was having heat issues really from the start. Actually "heat" may not be the right term here, "lack of heat" would be probably be better. I was having a terrible time keeping the temp up where it should be. I never planned to have to keep two large but separate systems running at the same time and although I did have backup 300 watt heater it just wasn’t enough to heat the tank. The room behind the tank isn’t finished and is was not at the time insulated. When we got hit with this cold snap the heaters just couldn’t keep up. I like to keep my system right around 80 degrees and it was hovering around 75-76. Needless to say I was not comfortable.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
Dang, It sounds like you had one of those weeks we all dread.
I'm glad to hear you may have it sorted.
LMK if there is any equipment you need that I could loan you. 

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
There has actually been problems for a couple weeks. It just got really bad in the last week once I hooked up the new system but I've been suffering equipmetn failure after equipment failure since I started this transition.

I ran up to Deb's place and picked up a new 500 watt element at lunch time to get things back up and running. I' just waiting for the next thing to go wrong.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
OK, But if you get in a pinch , give me a call.

Would you be interested in borrowing my skimmer? it's not in use ATM.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
I should have thought to call you last night when I was heaterless. I forget that there is actually another reefer near by.

My skimmer is up and running now and with the Ozone blasting full force the skimate has dropped way down. Hopefuly the temp drop didn't cause too much of another die-off.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Sorry to hear about the issues Chad..man I hope things settle down for you. Isn't it crazy how mechanical things can run for a long time with little to no issues and as soon as you make changes it throws the system for a loop. Call it a temporary disruption of kharma.
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Deb from DIY was kind enough to let me interupt her day on Friday to stop in and pick up a new 500 watt element. With that back in place my temps have been stead right in the 78 F range all weekend. I also got the room behind the tank insulated and opened another vent in the basment that blows right down next to one of my sumps to help keep the temps downstairs alittle higher.

I did a water change this weekend which I'm still behind on so this is gettting me closer to where I should be on my schedule for them now but I really need to do 2-3 more inthe next month to be where I should be. I also siphoned out quite a bit of detritus which has settled since purging the system downstairs. Which means that either teh temp swings caused some more die off or this was the source of the foul odor after I put salt in the water when getting things set back up. I'm probably going to have to keep on top of this for awhile. Which means no quick 1 button water changes for awhile. I'm going to have to actually get my arms wet!

For the list of losses from this little incident: All my acros are gone. My chips, Tort, stag, and table....All toast. My stylo, is still not looking so hot and my birdsnest had some die off on just about all the tips. So it's going to be a wait and see game with them. I'll keep everyone posted.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Glad things are leveled off, sucks about the corals! You can count on frags from me to help get things going again.
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks..I might take you up on that Mike. I really don't want a ton of different corals in my tank so I won't need much to get things back where I want to be.

It will be awhile before I do add anything. I want to make sure things are settled to reduce the risk of losing anny more stock.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1