Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
your automation stuff alone is worth the drive out ot your house i would kill for a set up like you have...
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Yep, I think we're going to need to see a water change while we're there.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Wow!

You have really been making great progress!

Give me a hollar if I can help with anything!

AJ []
pista01
  • Total Posts : 28
  • Reward points : 0
ORIGINAL: Black71gp

your automation stuff alone is worth the drive out ot your house i would kill for a set up like you have...

I'd love to see the automation stuff too.  A one button water change would be fun to watch.
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
ORIGINAL: clamdigr

Yep, I think we're going to need to see a water change while we're there.

I don't know if I will be able to pull it off, It's sooo much work []!

Are you kidding? [] That system is my crowning achievement, I show it off every chance I get.. which living conveniently in the middle of nowhere means not very often. I think only 2 other hobbyists have actually seen the system in action.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I'm falling a bit behind schedule on this now. I ran out of drywall screws on Sunday evening and didn't have time to make a runt o the HD. I was sick on Monday so that coupled with the lack of drywall screws pretty much meant nothing happening then either. I finally picked up some on my lunch hour at Menards on Tuesday. Last night I finally got the rest of the drywall up. I had to make a few odd shaped patches to fix an area of he ceiling that looks like it had water damage at some point in the past and a big chunk of drywall and plaster came down that I hadn't planned on when removing the wall. One section was about 18" square.

I was finally able to get the patches in the corner bead on the one outside corner of the stand and some more of the first coat of mud and taping in place. As luck would have it I ran out of joint tape ( thought I had another roll ) and joint compound ( the extra bucket that was stored in the basement had started to mold ).  So that put an end to any more drywall work for the night.

Since I couldn't work any more on that I got the paint brush out and put another coat on the exposed wood parts of the stand. I think I'm pretty much set for painting at this point and can finish up the caulking now. I plan to caulk the cracks in between all the boards in the stand to prevent moisture from getting in and causing any swelling or deformation. This will also create a 3" tray under the tank that will catch and direct any water that does leak down into the crawl space below the tank.

I'm planing to put down tile on the floor of the small room behind the tank and will have a floor drain in that space as well as a small standpipe drain in the corner that I can use when siphoning detritus out of the smaller sump that will sit directly under the tank. I was really hoping to be able to shoehorn a small sink into the room but I just don't see how I'm going to pull that off and be able to access the tank along it's entire length. The only option I have been able to think of is to build a sort of Mop sink into the one end of the room on the floor. This might take care of the sick issue and the need for a standpipe drain in the corner. Seems like I should be able to do that with tile without problems and that way I don't have to try to fit in an off the shelf sized one.

I don't have any updated pictures right now as things really don't look that much different than before plus the plastic that is up to keep the dust under control makes it hard to step back very far and get any good shots. I'll see if I can get something tonight and post an updated picture or two,
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: AJ
Give me a hollar if I can help with anything!
AJ []

I might just take you up on that offer. I'm going to be putting in the new floor joists soon and that is a 2 man job. I'm able to do most all the other stuff on my own but getting those 2x10's in place and level is just too much of a pain to pull off with one person.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Mike
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 68
Chad it looks awsome Bro!!
tanglovers
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 25
Very nice build Chad.  Looks like you have it very well planned.

Quick question about when you put on the drywall (or is that greenboard - I am very novice about that sort of thing currently).  Looks like the tank sits flush with the stand from the earlier pics, does the drywall/greenboard sit out from the tank/stand edge then giving the tank a very slight recess (5/8-3/4") into the wall?

I ask because it looks like Wendi and I are going to be quickly looking into moving meaning our 220 will get built inwall.  I now find myself reading alot more about inwall setups
cmpenney
The Prez
Good Question!

I wrestled with how I wanted to do this for some time. It's somethign you have to plan for from the start in order to make sure everything trims out right in the end.

There are two options from the way I see it. You can create a small lip on the visible side(s) of your stand using 1/2" ( That is the standard thickness of drywall used for walls ) OSB, plywood, or MDF that is slightly narrower than the trim you plan to use and then push your tank out to sit flush with this lip.

The other option is to have your tank sit back 1/2" run the drywall up to teh bottom of your stand top and then attach a 1/2" spacer to the back of your trim on top to fill in that gap. I opted for this second option. I did so becuase this way I know that all of the weight is pushing down on the part of the stand that is strongest. It really probably doesn't matter since we are only talking about a 1/2" but I'm very paraniod about stresses on the tank since my 130 leaked and I just didn't want to risk it.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
tanglovers
  • Total Posts : 24
  • Reward points : 25
Sounds good, I kind of figured those were the two options but when I have seen inwall tanks in person to date, have not paid attention to this little detail.

Tank build looks great and I agree, I am paranoid as well and would most likely opt for the second option.

cmpenney
The Prez
Here are a couple drawings that might help explain my thoughts better. Sorry about the quality. I'm not an artist.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I finally got the first sanding done last night. The cool wet weather has made it take forever for the mud to dry especially with me having to put it on so thick in some places to match up with the old plaster. Here are a couple pictures of the walls with the drywall up..

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
A few more

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well you guys are probably wondering what has happened with this project it may seem like work has come to a standstill. Well, you wouldn't be far off. I still working on getting the drywall in the dinning room done so I can take down the plastics that is dividing off nearly a third of the room and return it back to something resembling normalcy. The cool damp weather over the last couple weeks has made it so that the mud has been taking forever to dry. Which is made worse by the fact that I'm having to really lay the stuff on pretty thick to fill in gaps and tie in the old plaster with the new drywall. I finally got to the point of sanding the second coat of mud on Monday night. I was up till 12:30 doing it. Usually in a typical 12x12 room I can go from newly hung drywall to ready to prime 3 days sometimes 4. This has now been 2 1/2 weeks!

Luckily I am down to just a few spots I need to continue to work on rather than the whole two walls and part of the ceiling. Last night we lost power just as I was about to get started on things and didn't get it back till shortly after 11pm. My UPS keep the important stuff running and I had my generator up with 20 mins and have the rest of the system running sans lights during the remainder of the outage so no losses or anything. But I wasn't able to get any work done either so the evening was a bust. Relaxing, but not very productive.

Hopefully with the point if thing stay on track from this point on I should finally be able to prime the walls this weekend and get back into gutting out the room behind the stand. The fast and fun stuff!

Sorry no pics right now since the walls really don't look that much different from a few feet way then they did in the last bunch of pictures.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
The Primer is up and the plastic is down!

You'll have to excuse the mess inthe room still but after I finally got the plastic down I just had to take a picture.  Terri is out of town this weekend at a baby shower for my cousin and I'm sure she will be pleased when she returns to have her dinning room back.

So now it's back to tearing apart the room behind the tank again. I'm hoping to make some progress on that front today. I also need to get some of the wiring in place so I can put up the rest of the greenboard around the tank area and get it ready to have the fiberglass planeling material applied to it. 

Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
looking good.. wife will be happy when she gets home huh..     
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Fantastic Chad! 

My tank is in my dining room too, and you know I would have thought that I would want to eat at the table so I can see the tank, but we still find ourselves eating on the TV trays more often then not....

Anyway, I like that your tank is built in, AND viewable from 2 sides.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
wbeavers
MASM Member
  • Total Posts : 279
  • Reward points : 0
Looks good.  Almost tank time!
Proper research is the key to success in reefkeeping.

clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Looks great Chad!

-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 5 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1