Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
Oh that's all!??!!??

I think you need to have a club meeting at your place....Lots of free labor!
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
ORIGINAL: Poseidon
 Is this tank going to be plumbed to the basement, or are you going to park a sump under the tank?

Yes I'm going to plumb it into the rest of my stuff in the basement. I'm going to have a small 40 Gal or so sump under the tank so that if I need to I can isolate this from the rest of the system if I needed to. I can also make it into a Fuge down the road if want to as well. I'm seriously thinking of putting in a surge device and the sump under the tank will help to even out the flow back down stairs and provide a place to put the pump to fill the surge device.

The actual room that will be behind the tank is only going to be about 2 ft deep so there isn't going to be a lot of space for equipment and stuff. Keeping all that stuff downstairs where I have the space to move around will be much easier to do maintenance.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: Poseidon
Oh that's all!??!!??

I think you need to have a club meeting at your place....Lots of free labor!

LOL....I've been through pretty much this process with all our 2nd story rooms so I've been through all this enough times that "that all" really doesn't seem like it's that much []. It's just yet another room to redo..LOL

I'll probably host a meeting in July or something when the system is all done. Or as done as a tank ever gets. I doubt anyone will come but maybe the offer of free beer and BBQ will get a few people to make the trip. Right now I would be amazed if anyone showed up knowing that might get used as slave labor!

Here is an updated picture of the project:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
canadianzebra
  • Total Posts : 4
  • Reward points : 12
looks great...thats going to be a beauty when its all finished!
Hopkins
MMMC Member
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points : 596
ORIGINAL: cmpenney

I'll probably host a meeting in July or something when the system is all done. Or as done as a tank ever gets. I doubt anyone will come but maybe the offer of free beer and BBQ will get a few people to make the trip. Right now I would be amazed if anyone showed up knowing that might get used as slave labor!

Eh, we would make the trip out. This build is going pretty quick.
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
I'll be there...willing to bet Black71GP will come. Heck..... free beer,BBQ AND diy stuff...I'm heading out to the car right now...see ya in the morning...[]
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
Cool. That's just more incentive to get this project wrapped up as soon as possible! My BBQ skills are pretty good if I don't say so myself. My burgers are usually 2/3 to 3/4 pounders and my spice blend is a more closely guarded secret than Col. Sanders!

ORIGINAL: clamdigr

I'll be there...willing to bet Black71GP will come. Heck..... free beer,BBQ AND diy stuff...I'm heading out to the car right now...see ya in the morning...[]
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
i guess i will be there...... even though you didnt come see our set ups lol.. family vacation or whatever.....
cmpenney
The Prez
Last night I worked on get theoutside wall in our dinning room ripped out. I was able to get some progress done but I didn't get as far as I would have liked. Most of the plaster is off the wall now at least and I got some of of the tongue and groove off so that most of the studs are now exposed on the side of the window near the tank stand. I decided I wanted to get the wall in the dinning room ripped out so I can get the insulation in and he new drywall up.

The thinking is that way we can our dinning room cleaned up and back to normal or at least close to normal soon. Right now all the crap in there as I tear things apart and put other things together is driving Terri nuts. If I can quickly wrap up that room it will make her happy and will get things back to normal in the house. With tow baby's crawling around it's probably the safest way to go as well.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
[] I'm really bummed that I missed that meeting too. Gettign to see 2 awesome tanks at one meeting is a bonus we don't often get. The vacation was planned for awhile and we paid $300 a night for hotel and waterpark so I figured I should probably go so we got our money's worth!

Next time you or Mike have a meetingyou can be sure I'll be there....

ORIGINAL: Black71gp

i guess i will be there...... even though you didnt come see our set ups lol.. family vacation or whatever.....
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
lol just giving you a hard time
cmpenney
The Prez
I know.. I really can't blame anyone for NOT making the trip to my place though. After all Reading is conveniently locate exactly in the middle of nowhere!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
something tells me that i can find someone to car pool with... so it makes it worth it
clamdigr
ORIGINAL: Black71gp

something tells me that i can find someone to car pool with... so it makes it worth it

Um...who might that be?
-Mike-

Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
That is looking GOOD!  I know Stacey was not to happy when I was cutting the hole in the wall for my 135, but all in all she took it in stride....  I can't imagine a project of this size, off the DINING Room!  Man, I would never hear the end of it!!!
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
cmpenney
The Prez
She's gotten used to it.. I've always got some project going and we have been in remodel mode since we bough the house almost 7 years ago. It still bothers her but she knows that sometimes things have to get worse before they get better.

For tonight I'm planing to ge the rest of the wall ripped out in the dinning room, and if there is enough time do some painting. If I get that done then this weekend I should be able to get the new drywall up in the Dinning room and get started on mudding. I've had alot of practice at mudding over the last 7 years and I should be easily ready to paint the new walls in there by Mid next week. Tommorrow I'm going to pick up a sheet of plastic paneling that I will cut up and put on the surfaces that are going to be within 12" of the tank. this should protect any wood or greenboard from getting exposed to the saltwater. 

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Last night went pretty well. I was up late but  got everything I was hoping to get done. The rest of the plaster is off the wall in the dinning room so I'm down to bare studs. I took some pictures and posted them below. I still hav ethe plastic up so I couldn't stand back very far when I took them so I apologize for not getting a nice full wall shot. I also finished up painting the areas above and around the stand so I can cover them with drywall and or tub surround material this weekend. I also got the first coat of paint on the top of the stand. i want to do at least one more coat possibly two before I call it good. I still need to set the tank back up and drill the holes for the overflow, basement return, and CL intakes in the deck. I think I'm just going to get the holes drilled and then put coats 2 and 3 on so I can seal up the exposed wood from the holes at the same time.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I realized last night that through this process to date I really haven’t spoken at all about electricity. Since most of my other projects over the years are pretty heavy on the automation and electronics is has been a bit out of character for me. The main reason that I haven’t mentioned it is because I really can’t do much of it yet as the wall most of it will run through doesn’t exist and it will be built off a floor that doesn’t exist yet. 

I can discuss what I plan to do however even if I can’t do much of it yet.   My main goal with the electrical in the room is to be able to turn on and off just about everything in the room from a single bank of switches.  If something were to go wrong with a piece of equipment I want to be able to open the door and quickly hit a switch to shut down the misbehaving hardware without having to trace and fumble with cords.  I already have this capability downstairs and I love it! It also makes maintenance so much easier when I need to turn things off to do work.

Since most of the equipment is located downstairs I’m not planning to put in that many outlets in the room itself.

Basically here is how it will look:
(3) outlets located above the tank for plugging in all the lighting.
(4) outlets below the tank for the following:
  • (1) CL Pump
  • (1) Pump to drive Surge( if I use one )
  • (1) Ocean Motions 4 way
  • (1) Vortech w/ wavemaker ( when they come out )
  • (4) open for future use.
  • (1) outlet on wall opposite wall for Misc use.

As I stated before every one of the outlets will be wired back to a panel of switches near the door. In some cases a switch will control both receptacles in an outlet in others each receptacle will be controlled by its own switch.  All told there will be somewhere between 10-12 switches in the panel.  I don’t like the idea of a short or voltage leak shutting down the whole system so I’m going to be putting a separate GFI on each plug where ever I can rather than sharing one on the whole circuit. This will be especially true for critical items like the CL pump.

So that’s my plan for the electrical layout as it stands right now. This may of course be subject to change as the project progresses.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
You're really making good progress Chad, I don't even feel the need to badger you for picks and updates []...keep up the good work. Sounds like you've really planned this out well. I assume the one-button water change system is still in the plan?
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
keep up the good work. Sounds like you've really planned this out well. I assume the one-button water change system is still in the plan?

Thanks...I've spent the last two years actually planning this. I have to admit that I've changed a lot from the first plans I laid out. The plan in the beginning was to have the tank flush with the wall. As you can see that has changed along with manyh other things.

I assume the one-button water change system is still in the plan?

Actually that is already done. I've had that in place now for about 6 months. It takes exactly 14 minutes and 42 seconds to complete a water change with the system. I still need to do some manual work to siphon out deitrus every thrid time or so.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1