Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
I used 3/4 plywood for the top of my stand ( the tank sits on styro per the tank builder), I don't like MDF for this type of application because of how it reacts to water (absorbs and expands), seems like it could get soft and unstable over time. Might be just me though, if sealed well who knows. When it comes to stands I'm all about overkill... LOL...my stand is all doubled 2x6......
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Not much progress from the last picture but this lays out the divider wall and shows the double plat for the stand.

I don't know why this picture turned out so blurry.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Looks good Chad...keep 'em comin'....I wish I lived closer to help out....I'm glad mine's done but the itch to destroy and rebuild is hard to supress .  I was wondering about the wall tear out process...are you taking down the entire wall, studs and all (?), if so, could you use a saws-all with a long blade and cut all the way through and remove sections intact instead of taking them down layer by layer. Just curious, sorry if I missed something.
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
The wall on the right side of those pics is an inside wall and I cut the studs out much like you describe and put a double beam across the opening. The far wall in that picture is an outside wall though and I don't need to remove the studs just the plaster and boards underneath so I can put insulation in the wall and then put new drywall up. I will need to place a few new studs in that corner to attach the new drywall where they meet but for the most part I'm not going to be making any structural changes to that outside wall.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Ok here are a few more pics. I cut out the plaster on the ceiling above the tank and tore out the plaster that was hanging from the old wall between the two rooms last night.

This is a shot from the room behind the tank back into the dinnig room through the opening the tank will sit in. The OSB is there to keep the little ones out and I have plastic up around the work area to keep dust from the construction site as contained as possible. The plastic is taped to the floor and stapled to the ceiling and walls. Luckily the plaster on the ceiling and other walls in this room is just over strips of drywall with none of that nasty metal in it so I was able to easily cut the outline of the area to be removed with a circular saw and pull it down with a couple yanks of the prybar.

I'm hoping to start building the actual stand tonight.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Finally something that looks like a stand has appeared. I can start to imagine a tank in this opening now:

Here is a side shot:

Tomorrow I plan to build the 2x6 frame that will sit on top of this and finish it off. After that is building the top part of the wall.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
YEA!
-Mike-

wbeavers
MASM Member
  • Total Posts : 279
  • Reward points : 0
Chad, are you nailing that?  If so I would use screws.  I prefer the coated deck screws.  I think they have greater holding power than nails.
Proper research is the key to success in reefkeeping.

cmpenney
The Prez
I'm using some of both. Screws will hold better from the standpoint of things pulling apart but they don't tend to handle shearing forces as well. And I am used the coated deck screws in the places that I do use them.

Since this thing is built into the house I have to follow the building codes and they frown on using screws for any kind of structural purposes.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
looking great love seeing the REAL 2x4 studs in the back ground...lol... was fun trying to add walls getting the new ones to line up. looking like it will be a great set up. 
XAWP
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
Getting better all the time! Nice job LMK when your done if you want to be hired out for a little bit more demo and remod work, LOL.
KEEP ROCKIN' THE FREE WORLD!!
cmpenney
The Prez
This house is full to the rough sawn 2x4. For the most part they are only on the outside walls of the house so I only have to match up one side when remodeling. There have been a few places where I've gutted out two rooms that have those boards in the wall between them and then I just push the new 2x4 to the back on one side and pull it forward on the other side of the old 2x4.

ORIGINAL: Black71gp

looking great love seeing the REAL 2x4 studs in the back ground...lol... was fun trying to add walls getting the new ones to line up. looking like it will be a great set up. 
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Of course I did work on this more this weekend. I'm pretty happy with the progress. I got rest of the stand built. Including the 2x6 frame that sits on top of the support structure above and the 2 layers of 1/2" MDF. Before I set the MDF on I primed and painted the inside of the satnd being especially careful to get any vertical surfaces really well. I went through after the paint dried and chalked any cracks in between boards to keep out any water that might get splashed of otherwise work it's way in. this should help to keep the wood from absorbing water and expanding and more importantly aviod any rotting issues.

I've been glueing much of this structure together as I have progressed to help keep the whole thing as stiff as possible. The OSB id glued to the Floor joists. The double 2x4 sole plate is glued together and to the OSB. The 2 layers of MDF are glued together( effectively creating a single 1" piece of MDF) and then to the 2x6 frame. With this thing all together Clamdgr's accessment of being able to park a tank on it probably isn't far off. I had to climb on it to do some work above the stand and that thing is solid!!!! There is no perceivable movement in any direction no matter how hard I tried to get it to shift.

I build the wall above the stand as well this weekend. It was assembled in two sections. The first section was built from 2x4 and sticks down about 18" from the ceiling. I then built another section from 2x2" furing strips that sticks down another 12" and ends about 1.5" fromt he top of the tank. the reason for the section of 2x2 is to give me more open space toward the front of my tank to work with. All of my CL returns will be coming down from the top of the tank and of course two of those will be at the front of the tank. I wanted to make sure that I had enough space to place those where ever I needed to.

With the framing pretty much wrapped up around the tank in the front I started putting up the green board. Do to the exposure to high levels of humidity I am doing green board all around the tank area including the room behind the tank. I had thought about coverint every surface in the room with the fibergalss panels that you see alot in commercial kitchens and bathrooms. The stuff is completely impervious to water and easily cleans up with a damp wash cloth. I took a look at them at HD where I was there this weekend and decided to scale that back. At $30 for a 4x8 sheet and $3 for each of the joint/corner strips it is just not in the budget. I still want to use it in the areas that are next to and just above the tank to protect those areas that have a higher chance of getting wet on a regular basis.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: clamdigr
 ( the tank sits on styro per the tank builder

How thick is the Styro? Is you tank Glass or Acrylic?

I left space so I could pretty easily put 1/2 styro under the tank if I decided to. I've been tossing the idea back and forth for some time but I haven't come to a decision yet.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
OK here are some pictures from the work this weekend:

Of course I had to put the tank up there to get the "Full Effect"

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Boy it is a good thing you put the tank up there!  That will sure motivate you to keep GOING!!!  You are doing a fantastic job Chad.  Is this tank going to be plumbed to the basement, or are you going to park a sump under the tank?
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
very nice looking!
clamdigr
ORIGINAL: cmpenney

ORIGINAL: clamdigr
( the tank sits on styro per the tank builder

How thick is the Styro? Is you tank Glass or Acrylic?

I left space so I could pretty easily put 1/2 styro under the tank if I decided to. I've been tossing the idea back and forth for some time but I haven't come to a decision yet.

The stryo is 3/4" and it's the softer white stuff from HD, but I think 1/2" would work fine. My tank is glass and the whole bottom pane sites on styro.  I just bought exactly what the tank builder told me to. Man Chad this is really taking off and looking great...and yes, that stand gets the M1/A1 seal of approval.
-Mike-

rarelyseriousb
  • Total Posts : 77
  • Reward points : 211
foam tape from HVAC supply house works well also. We use it to set roof top units on.
-spike
cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks everyone.

I guess I'm going to set a 1/2 peice of styro under it just in case. I spent a great deal of time leveling this thing out and even went and bought a nice 72" level so I could level across the entire length of the tank. I am very paraniod about things not being perfect and a seam blowing out becuase of my past experiences so I figure a $5 sheet of styrofoam is work the extra piece of mind.

It was very nice to see the tank sitting up in the opening. It's been sitting on end for the last two years in our dinning room and to finally see it sitting in it's final position even if only temporarily was a big boost. I got the wall above finished after I took that last picture and most of the green board is up around the tank from the front. For some reason I never took a picture of the tank in-place with top wall framed before I took it down.

Last night I attached a piece of 5/8" OSB to the ceiling joists above the tank. I figure this will make it easy to attach whatever I finally come up with for my lighting rack. Knowing my MO I'll probably build some crazy automated wench powered monster to adjust the lighting height and this way I won't have to worry about finding joists to attach hardware to. I'm going to put greenboard over the OSB of course so it still looks pretty.

I also did some more painting and priming last night. Terri had to run out and pick up some stuff for my cousins baby shower that here and my Mom are planning. So I had the kids all evening and that slowed down progress. Really it means that I don't start working on anything til after 8pm when the kids go to bed. That way I still get to spend time with the little ones without distraction. I'd like to get the painting an chaulking wrapped up this week.

Hopefully when I get home tonight there will be a nice big trailer for me to throw demolishion materials in when I get home. Altough the stand and new divider wall are nearing completion I still have a bunch to tear out on both sides of that new wall. The rest of the outside wall in the dinning room needs to be removed so I can get some insulation in that wall. I'm also hoping to get that done this week.

The biggest work is in the room behind the tank where pretty much everything must go! I have the new floor joists and some of the underlayment already
I still need to strip out the rest of the walls. Tear out the floor and floor joists. Put in the new foor joists level with the floor of the dinning room. Then Insulation/Drywall/paint and I'm all done!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 3 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1