Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
RE: Starting the build (permalink)
That looks great Chad!

btw..what software are you using for those layouts...very nice.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
ORIGINAL: Poseidon
 we will all be Jack's of all trades!

Kinda already there. My dad always was a DIYer Although not a very good one looking back. I have always been one to do as much as I could myself and get a great deal of satisfaction from doing a project myself rather than hiring it out.
7 years ago we bought a 125 year old house that needed alot of work. Since purchasing it we have put new roofing on most of the house, resided it. Installed new 200 amp electically service, replaced all the DWV out to the curb, all the water lines out the curb, completely gutted the upper story including the ceiling and floor joists. Of that work only part of the roofing was hired out and that was only becuase of the 12/12 pitch on part of the roof.

ORIGINAL: clamdgr

Good old Visio!  Does good for some layout stuff but can't do the nifty 3D stuff like you do.

Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I got the Beam in as planned this weekend:

Below you can see the posts I put in to beef up the support in the wall. All in all I removed 9 studs from the wall and put back 12 studs.

You can also see the orginal doorway on the right side there and where the new opening to the short hallway will be on the left side. Part of one of the orginal support studs is still sticking up in the middle of the new opening to hold the drywall and plaster up temporaly.

If tearing out the rest of the wall I did find that there is no insulation in the oustide wall of the dinning room. Which means that now I have to tear that wall out as well. Not something I was planning on and it is going to slow down the project some to do the extra demolition and drywall work. It will only add about $50 to the project but it's more time and with no longer having a truck at my disposal hauling off demolition waste is getting to be a problem.

Here is a pic of the whole opening:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
ORIGINAL: cmpenney

ORIGINAL: Poseidon
we will all be Jack's of all trades!

Kinda already there. My dad always was a DIYer Although not a very good one looking back. I have always been one to do as much as I could myself and get a great deal of satisfaction from doing a project myself rather than hiring it out.
7 years ago we bought a 125 year old house that needed alot of work. Since purchasing it we have put new roofing on most of the house, resided it. Installed new 200 amp electically service, replaced all the DWV out to the curb, all the water lines out the curb, completely gutted the upper story including the ceiling and floor joists. Of that work only part of the roofing was hired out and that was only becuase of the 12/12 pitch on part of the roof.

ORIGINAL: clamdgr

Good old Visio!  Does good for some layout stuff but can't do the nifty 3D stuff like you do.

I love DIY...I've learned alot from home projects and aquarium stuff...the key is to know when I'm over my head and need to call a pro.

The 3D stuff is cool but I like the clean 2D look of your layouts with the proper door/window openings etc. too.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Do you have a hitch on the min van?  I have a small trailer you could borrow.

AJ []
cmpenney
The Prez
Niether of our cars do but I have access to several others that do. Everyone I know with an old beater truck that I'd feel comfortable throwing demolition waste in, is out of commission right now. It's really putting a damper on things. I used to be able to make a quick run after work to get rid of stuff in my in-laws pit. Right now stuff is just piling up and it just keeps getting in the way.

I'm thinkin that part of our tax return is going to have to go to another old Ranger or S-10.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Mike
  • Total Posts : 198
  • Reward points : 68
I dare ou speak of a tax return LOL esp when I owe!!!

Looks good Chad.  I know about that piling up thing it is a headache!!!
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: Mike
I dare ou speak of a tax return LOL esp when I owe!!!

All thanks to my three little tax deductions!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
XAWP
  • Total Posts : 13
  • Reward points : 0
WOW, awsome work! If I was closer I would def. come over and help ya, just purly for the experiance!

I have to do somethin simaler in my house soon.

Also building a wall in the basement for the fish room!

Man I guess I will have to start a thread also.

Great job man!
cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks..It's coming slower than I like. Manly becuase of the material movement issues...It quite the bummer.

Hopefully after the conference I'll be able to hit this full force and get this tank in the wall. I'm dying to move forward and see the tank with actual water in it..

BTW. When you start your project you should most definatly start a thread. I think the build threads are some of the most interesting that we see. It's always coolt o see the solutions that people come up with as they put their systems together.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I ordered some more of the lumber for the contruction today and it should be delivered tomorrow morning. I should at this point have everything I need to replace the flooring under the stand, Build the stand, and the new divider wall.

I guess I know what I'll be doing all next week!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
and taking lots of pictures during the progress...
cmpenney
The Prez
192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
Ohh. I will!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
I've been working on the wall this last weekend and then last night. Easter kind of put a stop to any work on Sunday but so far progress has been ok. I cut out the section of floor under where the stand will be and set in some ¾” OSB and did a little shimming to level the floor out better. It wasn't actually that out of level which is surprising when you live in a house that is close to 130 years old.  I cut and laid the 2x4's that will make up a double sole plate that the sand legs will sit on and will also be the bottom of the wall under the tank.

Last night I spent several hours breaking plaster off the outside wall that will be inside the tank room so I could get some new studs in place and start actually building the new divider wall. They built that wall to last. First they put up some 3/4" tongue and grove boards. Over that they nailed some expanded metal sheeting for the plaster to stick to.  Then of course they put 2 layers of plaster to finish the wall off.  The process of breaking the plaster off with a hammer, then tearing of the metal, and finally cutting a section of the tongue and grove board and removing it is exhausting.  If you ever get the chance to tear out tongue and grove board, run, just run! This crap splitters something terrible too so you never get the boards out in anything resembling one piece.  I only removed a section about 24” wide from floor to ceiling to but I'm unfortunately going to have to tear out the rest of the wall because I found that there is no insulation in that wall which I'm really dreading.

I should be able to post a few pictures tonight of what I have done so far this week.

As things stand right now it is very possible that I might actually have something that looks like a stand by the end of the week. I had originally planned to use a piece of ¾” OSB for the top of the stand but now I'm thinking that maybe I should go with 2 layers of ½” MDF instead. I think this will be a safer option as OSB can have some bumps and uneven areas. For others that have build in tanks like this what did you use on the top of the stand?
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
Here is a quick drawing I did of the stand design

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Seems like overkill Chad,  when I had my 135 built into the wall, all I did was make a 4x4 frame on top, made sure it was level/square and then set the tank on that.  I used treated 4x4's so that the water would not tear into them to fast.  It was quick and easy.... Compound Mitre saw, and a belt sander....  DONE!

Of course my tank was sitting on a concrete floor too, so I didn't have that much to worry about UNDER the stand. 

BTW is your tank Glass or acrylic?
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
for sure overkill.. but hey.. some say my skimmer is a overkill.. i LOVE The drawing
cmpenney
The Prez
My problem is this is a 130 year old house that has been added on to about 10 times by probably 10 different people. The construction techniques in some places is a bit scary to say the least!

I had my 130 on the opposite side of the same room. It ended up leaking and I’m sure it was from the floor moving over time. We are going to be talking about a lot of weight (over 1,500lbs just for the water) and I’m not willing to take that the chance of things settling again.

If I was building on a concrete slab, trust me I wouldn’t be over building like this. Given the past I would just rather be safe than sorry. I really don’t want to go through the whole leaky tank thing again. I lost too much livestock the first time.

BTW..The tank is acrylic this time.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
OK here are a few pictures:

This is the new floor replaced and leveled under where the stand will go.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
There is certainly nothing wrong with your plan Chad!  I would think you could park a tank (Sherman type) on that section of floor once you get it done! 

I can't wait to see the next series of pictures, it looks like you are going to have one heckuva set up when it is all done.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 2 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1