Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Re:192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
I got a nice Gift Certificate for Preuss in my stocking for Christmas this year which has been burning a hole in my pocket for since Christmas morning. So yesterday I headed off to Lansing in the hope of using that toward getting 3 Banggai Cardinals for my MBI project. Unfortunately when I arrived they only had 2 left and both were spoken for

Well you just CAN'T go into Preuss without coming out with something in your hands and after walking around and looking for a while I decided to get the one thing that might make my fat, happy, male mandarin even happier.....A lady friend! Which also might just get me some MBI points as well. She is quite a bit smaller than he is which I knew would be the case when I bought her but I had no idea how much smaller until I saw them side by side in the tank.

I'll try to get a picture of them together but so far they haven't been very cooperative.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So far the Mandarins aren't cooperating but I did get a few pics of other fish:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Finally got a picture of the female:

And here is a bad picture of the two of them I got just before the camera died:

Last here is a picture of my very fat shrimp gobie:

He lives under the backplates in my tank along with his pistol shrimp and that tunnel is just packed full of pods.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Really nice shots Chad!

I think a mandarin pair is on most people's wish list.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
I'm hoping that they take to each other and I end up with some spawning activity out of it. It would be pretty cool if I could hatch some eggs and maybe get some larve.

I haven't done much research but I don't think there has been much success with getting them to settlement.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2723
  • Reward points : 2807
cmpenney

I'm hoping that they take to each other and I end up with some spawning activity out of it. It would be pretty cool if I could hatch some eggs and maybe get some larve.

I haven't done much research but I don't think there has been much success with getting them to settlement.

Check with Witt... There were several at MACNA in ATL, I think he brought them.  This is just one of them:

cmpenney
The Prez
I knew that a few people had made it past Settlement but the mortality rates even for thosee that did was pretty high. From my understanding it has been hard find a good first food.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2723
  • Reward points : 2807
Don't quote me but I think he said that nudibranch eggs were the key.
cmpenney
The Prez
I heard the same thing...Seems like getting those would be a another hurdle in and of its self
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here are a couple more pictures that I took while trying to get a shot of the two mandarins together.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So Coral recently had an real interesting article on butterflyfish. In it they stated That with most butterflyfish it's best to keep them in pairs. It also stated that with regard to the Copperband it is a myth that they are aggressive to con-specifics. Some other research on-line also does seem to confirm this.

So last weekend I picked up another Copperband to go in my tank with the existing on. I brought it home and put it in my QT tank. He was a bit shy as would be expected but he did take a few live brine shrimp that night.

Unfortunately Monday after I got home from work I noticed spots on his fins. My first thought was ick..Then I thought it may be Lymphocystis because it can sometimes look like Ick early on.. After looking the fish over good again though I was sure that it did in fact have Ick so I started treatment. So far it has been in Copper & Melafix treatment now for 4 days and most of the spots are gone now. Which is good.

I had some concerns because up till this time the only thing it had paid attention to was live brine which wasn't lasting long in the tank due to the copper and I didn't even know how this little guy would do in a diet of nothing but LBS for 30 days. Luckily last night he started taking frozen mysids. Quite the load off! So I'll keep treating with just the copper & Melafix for the rest of the week and then start lower the salinity..So 4 days down 26 more to go..
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here is a picture of him hiding by his PVC tube:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here is a little bit better picture of the two Mandarins:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Most of you already know but last weekend while I was in Chicago for a family wedding we lost power on Friday evening and didn't get it back until Sunday late afternoon. As a result I lost all of the fish in the tank and pretty much everything else that breathes oxygen.

Well I got the bypass installed last night...Something that I really should have done a long time ago like when I first did the plumbing to be totally honest. So it's in place now and I put it into use. The water from the pump is now completely bypassing the display tank and is just circulating in the basement.

Once that was done I got down to business and started siphoning the water out of the tank. Along the way I did find a few nassarius snails that survived the holocaust as well as a couple hermits, 2 urchins, and my large brittle star. It looks like I have a chance to save 3 of my corals as well. One of them is my Flower petal cap which is one of my favorites as it was probably the first frag of it's kind in MI, handed to be personally by Steve Tyree, and is most likely the parent of just about every flower petal in the state. The coral did take a hit from the incident but the tissue recession seems to have stopped now so there is a chance it will pull through.

After draining the, water and removing what was left of a few more of the dead fish I missed earlier, I started to move some of the rock around and push sand out of the way. I was very,very surprised to find that my sand really didn't stink! Usually in deep sand that has been in a tank for a couple year you find at least some decent areas that just sink and the sand is all black. You usually find it especially under LR that's been partly buried in the sand. There are always those places that just get anoxic in a sand bed. It's just a fact of life right? Well i just found none of that, I was total shocked especially considering that the reason I'm doing all of this is because of a very recent lack of oxygen in the whole tank. In fact there were some places where the buried sand was as bright white as the day it was poured in. I have no idea why this is the case. It could be the type of sand I used, the high flow rate, the high level of micro fauna, or some combination of the all of the above perhaps. Needless to say I found it very interesting to say the least as I've never seen this before.

It's always bothered me the the rock on the left side of the tank has been so close to the front glass. So I pulled away all the sand and slid that all back. Move of that rock is cemented to a PVC skeleton so I was able to actually move almost the whole structure at one time. I also slid it slight more toward the center of the tank left to right. I'm still playing around trying to decide what I want to do with the rock work on the right side of the tank. I know I want to leave it more open than the left side for sure but I'd like to make it a bit different than what I had before.

No pictures yet I still need to clean the front glass up which I'll probably do when I get home tonight. So maybe some pictures later on this evening.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
Good to hear you are digging in and getting things started again.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
So far I'm not starting much of anything. Mostly still tearing apart and cleaning. I spent quite a while scrubbing and scrapping the front and side glass last nigt and I'd say I'm not quite half done!

I still need to siphon out the last bit of salt water in the bottom of the tank yet and figure out what I want to do with the rockwork on the right side of the tank.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Here is a crappy picture I snapped with my phone just before bed last night:

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So here are some shot of what I've done with the aquascaping

Sorry the glass is still a little dirty.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
You have been working hard!  That was a lot of coraline to remove.   Nice looking layout. Do you have a shot down the end?

AJ
mhowe9
Treasurer
  • Total Posts : 1193
  • Reward points : 2505
Looks good Chad
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 17 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1