Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2725
  • Reward points : 2811
Re:192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
I like that a lot better.  That should make for less plumbing as well, right?  Much easier access to the Banggers too.
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
I still have to see if this layout will work for sure. The Furnace in the picture is not to scale so I need to check clearance there. There are also a few modifications to the walls as the will be going in to replace a few support poles down there so they may be a problem.

It another thing I noticed is that it opens up lots more spce on that bottom wall which would be a good place for a culturing system.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
Yes, this seems less crowded.  The extra workspace wull be useful.  Is there a window down there?
cmpenney
The Prez
Yeah but I covered it up to reduce heat loss.   The other thing with this configuration is that I will have to move my controller to a different wall.  That is assuming that I have clearance everywhere. The skimmer is going to be the biggest issue because if height.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
That's almost exactly how I was picturing it. I remember the data center to the right of the stairs, I wouldn't try to move that either! You could squeak some more space if you put the door to the crawl in the fish room, basically get rid of the upper hallway and just have a short wall section going from left to right from the wall with the fish room door (a short chunk of the top fish room wall you have drawn in now) to just past the data center then a short wall up, just right of the DC to form a nook. The data nook. Then you could put a tub in front of the crawl door (which you'd probably want closed of with a panel to keep heat in). You'd still be able to get into the crawl by putting a piece of plywood over the tub to scoot across. 
_________]                                                                                             
                                                                                      &nb
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
Hmmm....More to think about. I spent about 45 minutes walking around the basement (using that term loosely ) with a tape measure trying to figure out what I can do..The last layout I posted won't work because there isn't enough head room to get the skimmer in there. It's just too tall! Stupid ductwork!

Your plan might work Mike but it means a bunch more work and more time before I can get the skimmer installed. So I'm going to need to look long and hard at that.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
OK I updated the measurements moved the walls and this is the way it works out:

I am still playing with moving things around and trying to make it work. The stupid duct work is killing me down there. Trying to make it work with the skimmer height is driving me nuts.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
Good thing I don't have a basement, I'd go nutz!  Maybe I'd be better off just living here: http://www.privateislandsonline.com/nukupule-island.htm
cmpenney
The Prez
If it was actually a basement this wouldn't be such a huge pain! The problem is that it's more of a hole under the hole with some cement smeared on the floor [sm=wallbash.gif]

After moving things around, then back, then around again. This is what I'm left with:

I might be able to move that wall up at the top a free more inches to the left. But it will be tight back there no matter what!

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Well, it got you more floor space anyway, and realizing it's not to scale, it didn't get you what I'd hoped. It's still kinda jumbled up. I was hoping to get the tubs lined up around the perimeter like train cars for easy access, with the skimmer first in line to receive water from upstairs. I do remember having to walk hunched over down there, kinda like Gandalf in Bagend. If not for multiple things going on on this end, I'd be sooooooooo in the car this weekend, Reading Mi on the GPS!! Ducts....we don't need no stinking ducts.....big A** skimmer on the otherhand.....
-Mike-

AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Would it be possible to stack a couple of those tubs?

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
Not really AJ. In order to do the 100gal water change I need to have more than 100 gallons on one level so both sumps need to be on the floor. And I need to be able to get to the cardinal tank to do general maintence and ( hopefully ) collection.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
The problem is I keep fighting with the duct work down there and the height of the skimmer. You can see in the picture below the areas in red are really the only areas that the skimmer can go in.

This is what is making it very hard to get things setup. If the ducts weren't in the way there are a couple really good options for setting this up. There are ways that the ducts could be run that would get them out of the way but paying a contractor to move the ducts is just not in the budget.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
Would it be out of the question to build a very sturdy steel tube frame to hold the tubs and perhaps use roller sliders , say for a tool box to move the lower tub in and out as needed?

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
It would make it hard to plumb. Plus the floor down there is pretty messed up. It would to roll them around.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So I had an incident or at least what would have been an incident and for many people a huge incident. One that could have been disastrous. I proud that because of the planning I've done and the fact that I've learned many hard lessons in years past was so much of a non-incident that even forgot to post about it last night.

As some of you know that have been following my monster skimmer refit thread I got my new bulkheads in yesterday. Just like a kid at Christmas as soon as got home I threw all my stuff down. Quick changed my clothes and headed down the basement to get those bulkheads installed. I was dying to get some water in that thing and lord knows I need a skimmer on my system. Eric Borneman may be able to run a skimmerless system, but let's face it, I'm no Eric!

When I reached the bottom of the stair I immediately noticed that something wasn't right.....It was quiet...too quiet. A quick glance over at my control panel and nothing...By nothing I mean there was nothing, no lights, no displays, nothing! The breaker that feeds power to the tank stuff downstairs had tripped. So The main pump wasn't moving water, there was no heat, everything had shut down. For most people and that includes myself a couple years ago this would have a terrible situation. Especially since the breaker probably tripped in the early morning so it had been without power all day.

Why wasn't this a big deal for me? First because the upstairs stuff is on a different circuit than the downstairs. So the lights and more importantly the backup heater that is in the 30 gal sump below the display tank still was working as was the pump for the surge so water continued to circulate between them.

Also because I cover the sumps downstairs when it starts to get cold to reduce heat loss and evap to save electricity and water. Even though there wasn't any power the temp only dropped down to 70. Not the ideal temp but pods aren't that picky.

So the moral of this story is that with careful planning and thinking through how your system work, looking for and reducing failure points, it is possible to survive potentially monstrous failures without a scratch. 

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
That's good to hear Chad, glad the safety measures paid off. Any idea what tripped the breaker?

Looking at the last diagram, what if the skimmer was in the upper right corner and the three system tubs were placed like this: l l l  Evenly spaced so the left one is in the corner above the fish room door and the right one is where you have the red rectangle below the crawl door. Is there enough space so you could walk in between the tubs, and get to the skimmer? W/C tub to the left of work top.

-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Not a clue. I reset the breaker..Let the water warm up a few more degrees then started the pump back up. So far it hasn't tripped again. This has got me thinking that I'd like to install a small 50 amp sub panel and split the basement up some more so the the pump is on one breaker, heaters on one breaker, and everything else on a third.

As for the basement arrangement. I'll have to play with that. The area just above where the door is in the last pic has the least amount of head room because of, you guessed it, the stupid ducts.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
AJ
Nice to have things wired seperately like that .   Something to consider for any setup.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
Sanjay did a talk back at MACNA 2 years ago...or was it three....Anyways it was when MACNA was in Pittsburgh on system design and fault tolerance. He presented an interesting idea for how to design systems to be as bullet proof as possible.

After that I looked at my system one component at a time asking myself. "What would happen if this fails", Starting at the most specific items and working my way up.

what happens if the pump fails, what happens if the plug connected to the pump fails, what happens if the breaker that feeds the pump fails, the power to the house, etc up the chain.

Decide which pieces of equipment are critical and which are not and find ways so that if those critical components fail. There is some sort of backup built into the system. The way it is right now if any single pump or heater fails water will still continue to be heated and circulated through my display.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..1617181920.. > >> Showing page 16 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1