Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Re:192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
I'm hoping it will. I'd like to put some sort of foam sheet on the stone walls to slow down the heat loss there. I figure 1/2" or 3/4" would make a big difference there. with those walls being so irregular finding a way to make it look decent will be the hard part.

The walls around the sumps will be stud walls though. I'll have a row of cement blocks mortared to the floor to give me at least an 8" lift off the floor and use a treated lumber baseplate to help with moisture issues. I had thought that I would use fiberglass insulation in that space but the more I think about it the more I'm concerned about that stuff getting damp. So I might be looking at styro there as well.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I need to make some changes to my sump area downstairs.  I have a couple goals:

• Surround the area to reduce heat lose during the winter
  • Improve the aesthetics of the area
  • Fit my new skimmer in
After trying a couple different layout's in Visio. This is the design I've settled on, at least for now.

I'm also leaning toward replacing my current 35gal Salt mix container with a 100 gal RM tub so I can do larger water changes. After reading the article in the last TFH about how water change volume and frequency relates to the removal of gunk I'm thinking that 35 gallons at a time just isn't good enough.

Anyone see any problems with this layout? 

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
johndawe
MASM Member
  • Total Posts : 329
  • Reward points : 706
Glad to see you want to do 'big' water changes, not the 10 or 20 gallon stuff.
cmpenney
The Prez
Right now they are a little over 37 gallons total but I really would like to bump it up to be able to do 100 gallons at a time.  I'll just need to make sure I design the sump layout so that I can do a water change without shutting anything.

I hate the idea of stopping any part of the system to swap out water.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well Step one in rearranging the sump area/fish room in the basement is done!

I removed the frag tank:

Yes it is gone!

I also disconnected the two 22Gallon isolation tanks that basically had been used as dark Refugium and a RDSB. As well as making room in preparation to move things around this hopefully will also reduce heat loose and lower the electric bill a bit. Less water to heat and a significant reduction in surface area to volume ratio should equal less heater on time.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
And the fun begins! Do you have the RM tub up off the cement floor to help stop heat sink?
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
Not right now Mike. But when I move things around I plan to.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
 I spent some time today cleaning up the area and doing so more measuring. After some thinking I'm pretty sure I'm going to scrap the pond liner tank for the Cardinals and just get another 100 gal RM tub instead. I just ran some quick numbers and buying a RM Agri-tub is going to be much cheaper than purchasing the materials to build the tank the other way.  I'm also probably going to swap one of the sumps and the cardinal tank. The sump in the corner has to sit 6" higher because of a large block of cement that was put there to raise the Water Heater up off the floor. In order to put a sump in that corner I'm going to have to have it at least 6" higher than the other tanks. After some thinking I'm pretty sure it would be more convenient to have the Cardinal tank in that spot since I need room for lighting and there won't be space enough to have another large tank over it anyways this may be better off.

So here is how the water flow will be handled if I don't change things again:

Water will be pumped up to the main display. From there it will return down and go straight into the skimmer. Water will then exit the skimmer and run around the room over to the Cardinal tank. From there it will leave though a standpipe to maintain constant water level and drop down in the first sump. From there it will pass to the second sump via either a pipe under the floor or by running a pipe back around to the other side of the room again. Where it will be pumped back up to the display and start the process all over again.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Can the three tubs be staggered in height so they can just waterfall through high mounted bulkheads. Sounds good so far though.
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
I don't have anywhere that I can put them side by side in the so no matter what I'm going to have run pipes around the room. The other issue I'm going to have is I need more than a 100 gallons of level water if I want to do 100 gallon water changes and not shut down the system. So I'm going to have to have 2 of the sumps on the same level. 

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Along with the Monster skimmer I got this baby too:

It is used to help push air down to the venturi on the Ocra since it is deeper than 36" below the water line. However Jarrod shared with me that the skimmer only required a fraction of it's output. So I plan to run some pipe around the room to supply air to all the parts of the room. I imagine that this should be powerfull enough to supply air to all the stuff I should need for my breeding efforts.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So here now what I'm thinking now for the lay out:

The QT rack will probably be used for or replaced by my culturing stuff.

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
So this is how water will flow through the system:

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2724
  • Reward points : 2810
From the top down view it looks like the Banggai tank is kinda hard to get to.  You might consider switching it with 100G #1, so you have better access to get the babies out...?  If they see you coming and hide in the back corner it will be tough to get at them.
cmpenney
The Prez
The problem is that corner is where the 2x2ft raised area is that used to have the water heater sitting on it. So whatever I stick right there has to be 6" off the ground. If I want to be able to do my 100 gallon water changes then I need to have both the sumps on the same level so I can drain out 100 Gallons of water. without shutting down the system. Leaves me kind of limited. Otherwise best case I'd have to drop the level of the water in the cardinal tank 6-10" during a water change.  
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2724
  • Reward points : 2810
I was just going from the top down view. I wasn't sure what horizontal issues were in that corner.
cmpenney
The Prez
It probably will be tight working back there but I'm really stuck without alot of options because of that stupid slab there. The only way I might get aroudn it is if I can get a 150 gallon tub downstairs for the last sump. I think I checked before and I didn't think I could get it down the stairwell but I'm going to have to check again.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Where does the drain pipe from upstairs enter the room?
The opening in the wall at upper right corner is a doorway? Or window.
The opening in the wall near furnace is a Window? Or doorway.
Jeez, I can't remember from when I was there.......Reason I ask is I'm trying to think of a way to keep everything in order based on flow to reduce plumbing. I want to move the door into the fish room further toward the bottom of the drawing and relocate the work top. Hell, I want to move the whole room toward the top and put that hallway at the bottom to separate the electrical panel, opens up a whole corner. But if that's a door at upper right, well, grrrrrrr.
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
This might answer some of your questions:

Where does the drain pipe from upstairs enter the room?

It comes in from the opening int teh crawl space in the upper right corner.

The opening in the wall near furnace is a Window? Or doorway.

The one in the very bottom left is a window to the outside.
Jeez, I can't remember from when I was there.......Reason I ask is I'm trying to think of a way to keep everything in order based on flow to reduce plumbing.

It's such a crappy space and I really hadn't thought about using this space for this purpose when we first started working on the house. Had I done that I would have done things very different down there.

I want to move the door into the fish room further toward the bottom of the drawing and relocate the work top.

I guess I hadn't really thought about locating the door at the far end...hmm.. Might need to play around with that and see what I can do there. What I really need is a buddy that is a sheet metal contractor that works for beer! If I could get those stupid ducts out of there things would be so much easier to work with.

Hell, I want to move the whole room toward the top and put that hallway at the bottom to separate the electrical panel, opens up a whole corner. But if that's a door at upper right, well, grrrrrrr.

I'd have liked to move the room up there too. I'm not crazy about my breaker panel being in this room. The opening in the uppoer right isn't really a door more of an opening into a poorly heated crawl space. I could cover it but that prety much covers my access to the crawl space then. Which might be a problem later

The other problem is that all my connections for TV, Networking, and Phone are mounted on that wall at the top. Moving those connections are going to be pretty close to impossible now.  That leaves me pretty much stuck where I am

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I just quick did this so I need to verify measurements on things but here is a revised layout with the door moved down:

Attached Image(s)

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 15 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1