Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
i have two that came back.. hopeing more will come back as well... so just leaving them all alone at the moment
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Chad did you lose that frag I gave you? I have more if you want another, it has grown out a little more since I gave you that piece.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Nope..I still have that one. Growing slow but it's still there. Thanks for the offer though.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
Good deal Chad, glad to hear that.
cmpenney
The Prez
Yeah Me too! About the only thing I've been doing lately is feeding, cleaning he glass ( not often enough , and water changes.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
That about sums up my schedule lately. I did a water change yesterday, and aside from the 2 cubes of food daily, that is about all that I have been doing.
cmpenney
The Prez
Re:192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
Well I'm getting frustrated with my big orange cap. I grew the coral for a frag in my basement frag system and it's about 18" across now. Since it was not grown in my tank the it isn't attached to the rockwork. I've glued the coral on the rocks now 4 times using epoxy which usually lasts a couple months and then breaks free.

So I'm left with a problem...Do I continue to epoxy the thing back in place in the hope that the cap will stay long enough to grow onto and attach to the rocks next to it? Or should a break it up into a few smaller pieces that I can super glue to the rocks and hopefully they attach more permanently and grow back together?

Right now I'm torn on what to do
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2725
  • Reward points : 2811
I just stick my Caps in a crevice and they seem to grow right in within a month or so...  I did super glue one the other day 'cause I wanted it in a funky spot.
cmpenney
The Prez
This one is way to big to get into any crevice. The other downside is that it's like a dinner plate so the current in my tank knocks it around, especially the surge. I really don't want to cut it up but I'm getting really sick of epoxying the thing in place every month or two.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
Hmmm... is it round'ish like a dinner plate?  This would be kinda radical but, could you cut a hole in the middle and stick the epoxy through it?  Kinda like a bolt?  Or, make a "post" out of epoxy on a rock and set the coral on top (with the "post" going through the hole)? 
cmpenney
The Prez
That might actually not be that bad an idea.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
If the base of the coral is wide enough you could drill a hole up into the bottom, then (if you can remove the rock it's going to sit on) you can drill another hole down and pin the two together with a BIC pen body (guts removed) and epoxy around the base. I think the drill size is 3/8". My 12" Pagoda is mounted this way and has been sitting for a number of years, the epoxy is actually loose from the coral (still stuck to the rock) so it just helps balance it. The pen is doing the work, I can actually lift the coral off if needed and place back when I'm done.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
Getting the rock out isn't going to happen it's motared and epoxyed to other rocks.

I'm still trying to decide between the epoxy pin idea of cutting it into 3 pieces and glueing them.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well I finally decided what to do with my big orange cap. I ended up cutting it up into about 8 smaller pieces and then glued the pieces back on the rock. Hopefully it will grow onto the rock this time and with the many smaller pieces I figure I've increases the growth edges about 10 fold so I should see a nice growth spurt as well.

Before:

After:

Not much to look at right now but give it a month.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
It'll fill in, for sure.  I love how the Anthias are checking it out in the pic... like, "Hmmm... what did he do now?" LOL 
cmpenney
The Prez
I took about 8 pictures and that is the one with the least amount of fish in the way

As soon as I step in front of the tank all the fish swarm in front of me begging for food. It's hard to get a picture of anything. 
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
cmpenney

I took about 8 pictures and that is the one with the least amount of fish in the way

As soon as I step in front of the tank all the fish swarm in front of me begging for food. It's hard to get a picture of anything. 

Yours try to pull that "He NEVER feeds me!" thing too?
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Those big caps are always cool to see. It will be neat to see how it grows for you.

I bet is hard to get a pic with the big angel in there.

AJ
cmpenney
The Prez
AJ

Those big caps are always cool to see. It will be neat to see how it grows for you.

I bet is hard to get a pic with the big angel in there.

AJ

Thanks AJ, Yes the Angel is the worse. no matter where I walk around the tank he is right there. It kinda funny because he is so busy concentrating on me that most of the time he doesn't even notice that I already put food int eh tank until it's half gone!

FishTalJ
Yours try to pull that "He NEVER feeds me!" thing too?

Yeah. People come over and feel sorry for the poor fish that never get fed and are starving, just look at them begging for food! I'm such a meany for not feeding the poor things. 

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Re: RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
Well I spent 4 hours down in my very nasty crawl space.

I did some work on the pipes that carry water to and from my display to my sumps. The drain line wasn't installed as well as I liked and I actually ended up cracking the pipe at one of the connections trying to squeeze my fat butt through a narrow gap in an internal foundation wall. Luckily all the extra PVC I had lying around meant I was able to fix it pretty quickly and now the drain has a much nicer stead slope to it. I also finally got the rest of the insulation on the pipes as well. It looks like I did it just in time. I've already noticed the temp holding up on my system much better after lights out.

While I was down there I also insulated the hot water pipes that will be part of my hot water heating system.  Now I just need to get a pump and some PEX.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..1112131415.. > >> Showing page 13 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1