Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
RE: 192 Gal in-wall Display (permalink)
WARNING LONG POST:

Thanks..It has made a rather amazing turn around it just a short time especially with the consideration that upon starting this all my existing LR had been basically sterilized using freshwater and dry time. The only real influx of life has been from 2 small pieces of Premium LR I picked up from the Pet Station in Jackson and just set in the tank. My Pod population is off the charts I've never in any of my tanks seen them so abundant as they are in this system. It's not just pods but tube worms, tunicates, and sea squirts that have been popping up all over rock, some of which was nothing more than a couple bags of cement, salt, sand, and LR rubble a few short months ago.
When I was at Preuss the other day I noticed one of their tanks that had really nothing but a bunch of smaller pieces of LR piled in it and was housing urchins for sale. There were no fish or corals at all in this tank and I walked by several times not paying it much attention. For some reason on a trip past the tank something caught my eye. I noticed a cloudy area in the water in the front corner. At closer inspection I realized that what I was looking at was a cloud of copepods swim in the tank! Just then 2 mysid shrimp zipped out from behind some LR rubble and then under another. As I looked around the tank I was able to see that this tank was crazy full of little critters. What a real Refugium should be! So I am now inspired. The reason I was moving the sand downstairs last night is because I want to duplicate that tank.

When I tore down everything downstairs and moved my seagrass upstairs I spit the sand that was just in my seagrass tank between the (2) 25 gallon tanks that are plumbed into my system.  Since my Imperator decided he didn't want seagrass in his tank I had to dig it up and move it back downstairs where it has been slowly recovering. However I never put all the sand back in the one tank with the seagrass. One thing I recall about that tank at Preuss was the substrate was crushed coral, which I remember from a talk at one of the conference is suggested as a substrate where Pod growth is a goal. So I started moving as much as I could get back into the one tank. Which of course clouded my entire system and made my video even crappier than it would have otherwise been. I'm still planning to move forward with this project and will keep everyone posted.

I'm still not thrilled with the state of things. Even with all the nice things that have been happening the temps just seem to be barely holding on some days. The temps which I would like to see stay between 79-80 on Cold days still dip down around 76.5. I have heater plugged into multiple outlets and distributed around the system to significantly reduce the chance of a failure like the one that cause the big temp drop. This includes a 300 watt heater that has been living permanently in my display since the accident. It's a bit of an eyesore and I don't care much to look at it but considering the alternative I've learned to live with it.

The whole issue does have me torn in some respect. I've basically proven that the fish in my system as well as the snail, stars, hermits, and "remaining" corals. Can survive a temp drop as low as 68 degrees for what was very likely an 8-12 hour period and not only survive but bounce back amazingly well. Am I being almost too worrisome about my temps? I know that some recent research has shown that daily and seasonal temp swings can have beneficial effects and in the long term help to build hardiness in at least some coral species. I recall this from yet another talk at a conference and once again I can't recall who or where it was but I'm positive I was sitting in chairs with a bunch of other people when I heard it!

So the question is should I not worry so much about the fact that my temps are lower than that nice steady 79-80 degree range I shot for all
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
sounds like you are on track.. in the winter months i let my temps drop a little... 77-76 or so.. 78 maybe on a nice day.. its just too hard and expensive to keep it at 80 year round.. then in the summer they go up a little.. nothing fast.. slow slow changes for sure...

the light thing sounds really really cool.. are you running four halides on that tank? or talking with the t5s too...

still hoping things go well from here on out.. sounds like the pods like the new tank!!
cmpenney
The Prez
I think this YouTube thing is goingto take off. Terri found the old Digital camera and I took a short video of the male just lazing around the tank when I got home to see how it would turn out:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-AwJ7pW64[/video]
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
cant believe how cool he is..... VIDEO of the full tank..!!!
cmpenney
The Prez
OK here is a full tank shot:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fk7OQ75Pn6c[/video]
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Black71gp
Jarrod
man its looking great
cmpenney
The Prez
Jarrod to answer your earlier question about lighting: The on and off sequence involves both the CF ( which will be T5's ) and MH. There are 2 of each and they turn on like so:

The left side Actinic, 1 hour later the right Actinic, an hour later the left MH, and an hour after that the right MH

in the evening the light turn off like so:

left MH, hour later right MH, hour after that left Actinic, finally and hour later the right actinic.

It took alittle more wiring to do it this way but it allows me to leave the lights on for a longer overall time but still keep the cost down as I'm only running all the lights at the same time for 4 hours a day but at least some lights are on for a full 12 hours each day.

On a side note I'm considering putting in a 3rd MH as some areas seem dark in tank.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
I'll have to catch up on this tomorrow, just came upstairs from working on an armior (sp) I'm building, I'm fried and the size of post #181 is too intimidating [] right now........ 
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
clamdigr
I agree, that's looking really nice Chad, and that Emperator is huge! Really like the arch too. The heater... not so much though []. You could move it behind the big reef by the overflow so you can't see it from the viewing side if that makes ya feel better []. Looking good!
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Well since everyone else is updating their build threads I guess it's time for me to do the same.

I do have some good news to report on the tank. First I finally got my school of Threadfin Cardinals! Some of you may recall that orginally that was the fish that I had planned to put in with my Imperator. But when it came timeto aquire them , alas, no one had them instock or could tell me when they would have them in stock. Not any LFS , not any Internet places, nobody. I ended up giving up and decided to pick up a group of Lyretailed Anthais instead. Which actually ended up quite nice with having one of mine change to a male and all.

Well a coupel weeks ago I got a call from Preuss. They remebered me looking for some and they had just got in 10 of them and were keeping them back in QT and wanted to know if I was still interested.....I thought about for about 2.7 seconds and said "YES!" I ended up bringing home 6 of them two days later. While not as brightly colored as the Anthias, these guys do actually stay in a small school all the time. I've never had a school of anything in my tank before so I'm pretty happy.

Here are a couple pics:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
I'm happy to report the return of my sponge growth. I had moved one small rock that was in the area that most of the sponge in the old system into the temporary sump under my main tank befoer I put all my other rock into freshwater to clear all the pests of it. Losing all that spnge growth forever was probably the single biggest thing that bothered me about sterilizing all my LR.

The other day I looked down in the sump under the display which gets almost zero light and below are some pictures of what I found:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2725
  • Reward points : 2811
Looks like things are going good for you Chad!  Congrats[]
johndawe
MASM Member
  • Total Posts : 329
  • Reward points : 706
I hope you have some type of cover so the fish don't jump out the top in the middle of wild uncontrolled fish sex. 
cmpenney
The Prez
On two sides there is a wall right above the tank so they's bounce back in []

Otherwise I'll just end up with some nice fish jerky.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
ORIGINAL: Fishtal

Looks like things are going good for you Chad!  Congrats[]

Thanks Tal...It's about time things started to go right....I'm not completely out of the woods yet though. I still have to put my permanent sump under the display in place. I took that in to be drilled along with the tank fort my surge and hopefully it will be done today. If so if all else goes well I should be able to install it this week. I think that will be my last big chance to create a disaster.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
cmpenney
The Prez
Well My bulkheads finally showed up today. So I could finally put the new sump under my display.

My kids had a thing at the school tonight so it wasn't until after 8:00 when I got home. And of course as soon as we got home it was time for the kids to get into bed. Needless to say I couldn't get started on anything until almost 9 pm. Luckily things went very smoothly. I shut down the main return pump and let my temporary sump drain out. I didn't want to completely drain the water out becuase that is where the LR with the new sponge growth is and I wanted to make sure it stayed under water during the whole process. Once all the water that I could remove was out I disconnected the union that connected the sump to the main drain line and pulled out the old sump.

I had already installed the new 1.5"  bulkhead in the newly cut hole in the 29. As it happened the sump hole lined up pretty much perfectly the way I expected with the sump pushed right up against the back wall. I quck dry mocked up the connections. Then Pulled it all apart glued, everything permenantly back together. Cleaned up my mess while the glue dried on all the connection. then turned the pump back on and everything just worked. No leaks, no problems and the whole process took just a little over a half hour...With all the bad luck I'd had I was surprised everything worked out so well.

So now on to the pics:

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
Looks great Chad! I see you have a drain in the stand, goes downstairs somewhere?
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
Thanks Mike,

The bottom of the stand is sealed so that it can contain about 2.5" of standing water. The drain inside that space will be hooked right into the house DWV. The purpose of the drain is of course to contain spills but also to allow me to siphon detritus out of the sump or the tank or what ever.

Right now the PVC drain fitting is attached into the floor as you an see but the pipe is just opened up into the crawl space. So far I've really not used it for anything so it's fine. I just need to get around to running the pipe over into the drain lines which are only about 8 feet away..
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
That's a great idea, esp for sump cleaning. Same thing I do with my sump, siphon down the floor drain, way too handy.  
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
 I have one near my stuff in the basement that I use all the time. When I found out how handy it was I decided there was no way I wasn't going to put on somewhere in this setup. to be honest I'm still considering putting another on in the floor behind the tank. I plan to tile that floor and it might be nice when I accidental knock over that half filled 5 gallon bucket of water[]
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 10 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1