Hot!192 Gal in-wall Display

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1745

192 Gal in-wall Display

Started doing some demo for installing my display tank this week. It's slow going and the wall in question is load bearing so I have to be careful..So far I've started tearing the really old plaster and Lathe from the walls in the room adjacent to our dining room. so I can get a good look at what i have to deal with. Right now the door between the rooms will need to be moved over 2 feet to make space for the tank so that is my first Job. Once the new Doorway is in place then I will need to do some bracing and get ready to cut the opening for the tank. Because of the amount if weight this wall carries. I'm planning on putting in a 2x12 glue lam beam. It isn't going to be cheap but better safe then sorry.

The room on the other side of the wall will be split into a small room behind the tank and the remainder will become a forth bedroom. Since most of the mechanical stuff for the tank is located in the basement I really only need enough room to get in and do maintenance right now I'm only planning to take about 36" out of the room for this purpose.

Here are some bad drawings of the plan:

Attached Image(s)

Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis

Replies (401) Related Threads

Mike
    • Total Posts : 198
    • Reward points : 68
    RE: Starting the build (permalink)
    Chad that looks familiar (your design) [] and I think the molding along the bottom will be a real stand out if this is going to be near a dining room!!!  Can't wait to follow your build thread!
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    Thanks. I had orginally planned to build it flush into the wall. The problem is the tank room would have eaten up a great deal of the room behind it. After seeing your tank with that kind of setup I changed the plans so the space for the tank would be spilt between the two rooms instead. I figured it worked well for you so why not.

Our house is an old victorian so the moldings fit in very well with the design. Unfortunetly most of the downstairs was remodeled in the 40s and the character was stripped away. We have slowly been putting back the ornate moldings in the house and this is the next step.

This picture shows a room that has sort of the look we are looking for:

Only the center of the panels will be a wine color than matches our Foyer.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Mike
    Being able to view the end is also really nice Chad   It is my favorite view and it allows for more creative aqauscaping too
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    Yeah I saw that as an added bonus as well.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Mike
    Are you plumbing this system to the sea grass system and refugiums in the basement?
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    • Total Posts : 1142
    • Reward points : 835
    very cool looking sounda like a wonderful task at hand     
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    It's been awhile since I updated this thread. It's about time I posted what I've been doing..

I started tearing apart the wall between the the two rooms that will house the tank. 

You can see on the left the framing for the opening into the short hallway that will connect between the room the display tank will be in and the room behind the tank room. Next you can see the remainder of the wall. I will be adding another post next to the one you see above on the right side of the pic and puting in a beam made up of (3) 1.5x12 LVL beams sandwiched together.

This wall carries a good deal of weight from the story above. I had the beam sized by the lumber yard and they said I could use (2) 1.5x9.5 LVL beams but I have the spae and would rather oversize and make sure that I'm safe. Even though I'm taking out the studs in now and putting in these large openings by doubling up on jack stucks and king studs The wall will actually have 4 more studs in it when done that it did to start.

I'm hoping to pick up a tempory floor post and remove the rest of the studs in the wall this weekend.

After that I'm on to the floor. It's extremely unlevel and is about 3" lower than the floor in the adjacent room. Basically I'm going to tear the floor and joists out and put new joists in to bring the floor up level and at the same height as the rest of the house.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    clamdigr
    • Total Posts : 1088
    • Reward points : 923
    Cool!!! Go Chad!!
    -Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    Here is what the layout of the rooms is now:

And here is a layout of how the rooms will layout when done:
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Black71gp
    Jarrod
    • Total Posts : 1142
    • Reward points : 835
    looking good will be nice for the tank  [] i love the lathboard walls... oh so nice to hang stuff on.........
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    That wall on the right is actually some type of 3/4 tongue and groove crap that has grooved cut into the face of it. Instead of the traditional lathe. Along this one wall in the house is the only place we have found it and it's a pain to tear out. It just splitters up when you take a crow bar to it.

I'll tear out the standard lathe all day long. Once you get a starter hole punched through the wall you can just rip it off row by row with the claw of a hammer.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Mike
    Chad whoever designed this house was right on track!!!  I love the fact that the bedroom is right off the dining room!!  If you had a toilet you would be all set..... Eat....Sleep.........Poo and repeat

Seriously looks like a lot of work!!!  But it also looks like you know what you are doing!
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    It wasn't a bedroom to start. Right now it's just an extra room that collected junk or was before we cleared it out to start remodeling.

As of last June we kind of realized that we where in need of another bedroom because of our little surprise and this was the only room not already taken!

My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Mike
    LOL   Still a great idea IMO

How is Grant doing ?
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    Actually the bathroom is right off the Dining room on the wall opposite the tank wil be in..So it is really close. I'll have to do a first floor layout tonight and post it..This house is really setup odd. Being built so long ago they didn't think about  the things we do now.

Grant doing well. We had a bad night last night. He was being a stinker..We have night were he sleeps all teh way through and we never hear a peep out of him. Then others where he'll wake up every 10-20 minutes for a couple hours in the middle of the night. Last night was one of the later.

From 1am to about 3:300 he was up every 10-20 minutes. Which means so where we.

I think that I'm actually becoming acustom to not getting any sleep though.
    My Build Journal
    Agis quod Adis
    Mike
    LOL I am preparing for this
    cmpenney
    The Prez
    As promise this is a layout of the 1st floor..It may be off an inch or so here or there but it's pretty much right on scale.

AJ
    • Total Posts : 1079
    • Reward points : 1556
    You have alot of work cut out for you.
    But it will be well worth it in the end!

AJ []
    Poseidon
    • Total Posts : 307
    • Reward points : 241
    That looks fantastic Chad! It does look like a lot of work, but I am starting to think that carpetry, plumbing, and electricity are PART of this hobby! By the time we are done with our tanks, we will all be Jack's of all trades!
    Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
    Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 21 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1