Hot!Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Re: RE: Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef (permalink)
Okay, here are some pictures of the progress so far.

First, the LAST pictures of my sump as it was:

And the shelf:

The NEW sump next to the old one:

Couldn't fit it all in frame.

Closer of just the new one:

New return pump, I left the tape measure in there for scale, it is TINY!

This is water coming OUT of a strainer, on purpose!  The strainer really reduces the noise.  This water is coming down from the 30 gallon tank that is on top, into the 50 breeder.

It is getting FULL!  I have the Chaeto, and live rock in the top tank, and there is a couple pieces of rock in the bottom tank too, along with my long spine urchin.  I still have to get the skimmer and the Ca Reactor hooked up, and I WAS going to put the reactor on the top shelf, next to the 30, but I don't think that will work, due to the UV and the height!  I had planned on putting both of my rubbermaid cans under the stand, but maybe the reactor ends up down there.

More to come later!  I have to do more work today for sure.
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
mhowe9
Treasurer
  • Total Posts : 1194
  • Reward points : 2507
Great Job!!!! 
Poseidon
Thanks!

Skimmer is in place, now I need to get the Ca Reactor going.  I also seem to have lost a schedule 80 elbow for the skimmer.  :mad:

Oh, and this new skimmer had some light colored skimmate in the collection cup in only 15 minutes of running!  :eek:
mhowe9
Treasurer
Are you going to end up putting the Ca Reactor on the floor?  That skimmer looked pretty sweet when you had it at the meeting.
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2725
  • Reward points : 2811
Poseidon

Well time for an update- I have been busy watching, selling and finally BUYING stuff for the sump redo. We had a swap that was local to me, so I took a bunch of frags and ended up selling more then I bought. I put that money aside and started to really look into a new skimmer. Well after much research and debate, and uh "pushing some buttons" I found a new to me skimmer. I settled on a MSX S2 cone skimmer, I found it used from a somewhat local reefer. John is getting a bigger tank, and wanted to get an even larger skimmer then this one. I have also found a Velocity T4 pump used, but still in the box for about 1/2 of retail. I decided to use this pump as it nearly the same GPH as my current Blueline 55 but saves about 20W, it is also SILENT. Another added bonus for me, is that it adds a couple degrees of HEAT to the tank, with my basement sump, my heaters are on WAY to much, so this is "free" heat for me. I do have to say I got a little ahead of myself though. I posted my current MR-2 for sale on a local board a few days ago, my friend Chris had the same skimmer and it took a month for it to sell- mine sold the next day! :eek: I also posted a choice on the pump to drive the skimmer, well the buyer chose my RETURN pump, the 55. So.... I had to tear into the old sump today, so I could have the skimmer and pump ready for the buyer tomorrow afternoon. Good thing I had already built the new stand, and I had placed the baffles in the 50 breeder early this week. I also drilled 3 holes in the 30 and 50 a couple weeks ago, so everything was just about ready to go. The next step is going to be to build a skimmer stand, about 5" tall, and I have to hook up the MONSTER Ca reactor tomorrow too. After that, I have to work on cleaning up the power wires, and make a frag rack. Once I get those items done, I will add a controller to the sump area. I am thinking of the ReefKeeper Lite 3, it will have everything I need and nothing I don't! It is also the right price, at just under $300. Of course I do have a couple pictures, mostly a before, and then an after, minus the skimmer and Ca Reactor of course, but those will come tomorrow. Oh, I do have a HUGE mess in the basement now too... :o :o ;p Sorry for the long post!

You drilled 3 holes...?   Good to see things moving along!
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Looking great Mike! I see you have feet on the stand, for leveling I assume, very cool. That new skimmer looks awesome, I checked out the website. 
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Nice setup!  I like how you can fit the brute under the stand.

AJ
Poseidon
AJ

Nice setup!  I like how you can fit the brute under the stand.

AJ

Thanks AJ!

Fishtal

You drilled 3 holes...?   Good to see things moving along!

OK OK!!!! You drilled 1 of them! 

clamdigr

Looking great Mike! I see you have feet on the stand, for leveling I assume, very cool. That new skimmer looks awesome, I checked out the website. 

Thanks for noticing Mike, yes the stand has 2 feet per leg.  Those feet came in very handy as the floor is not exactly level in that corner.

Here it is, in the bottom sump, a MSX 2S!  This thing has been pretty impressive so far.  I actually emptied the collection cup of about 1" of tea colored skimmate YESTERDAY after only about an hour or running!  I have a little in the cup right now, but I am still inkering with the water level.  The BEST part of this skimmer?  40 WATTS!  Yup, 40 WATTS!!!!  Well, maybe 50.... but still!  The reaction chamber is MILK white, and the bubbles are TINY!  Enough talking, on to some pictures:

Sorry the pictures aren't the best... I used my wifes camera, and the pop up flash. 

A couple more pics, my EMPTY tub!  .gif" />

And the UV got moved a little:

The Copper pipe that you see in this image is for my outside spiquet, GARDEN HOSE, not for the fish tank!

Poseidon
mhowe9

Are you going to end up putting the Ca Reactor on the floor?  That skimmer looked pretty sweet when you had it at the meeting.

Yes, I did.    I wanted it on the top shelf, but the size of the reactor, and the copper pipe, PLUS the UV needing to go there all conspired to put it on the floor instead.
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Sweet skimmer!

AJ
mhowe9
Treasurer
I was waiting to see that skimmer in action after you brought it to the last meeting.   Sorry that you had to move the Ca reactor to the floor.
clamdigr
Drats!!! I'm at work and the pics are super tiny!! I SO need to do something skimmer-wise, I wish these were out when I bought my AquaC, I could've gotten a bigger skimmer that uses less energy, for less money!!!!! Grrrrrrr!!!!!!

Ok...after I posted this the pics showed up big. That's actually a different looking skimmer than what I was looking at a few days ago.....hmmm.  Looks great though!!!!
-Mike-

Poseidon
I like it Mike, so far so good.  The Watt draw was really important to me, hopefully this will make a noticeable impact on the energy bill.  The next project is going to be a water heater heater like Jarrod uses, but on a much smaller scale obviously.  I am thinking 8 to 10 feet of 1/2" CPVC in the last sump compartment should be plenty. 
Poseidon
Well.... Today I have to say, the tank is VERY CLEAR!  More clear then I remember it ever being actually.  I am sure that has something to do with the UV as well as the skimmer, but the change is VERY noticeable.  Stacey even agrees, I will get a picture after I get home from Karate!
clamdigr
Re:Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef (permalink)
....are you still at karate Mike? That's a long class! Hint Hint....ROFLMAO

After seeing how much that bad a** skimmer goes for new, my earlier statement about being less money than my aquaC was wrong...I was looking at the wrong skimmer. Good job finding a used one Mike!
-Mike-

cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
I need to get me a new skimmer as well. I also have the AquaC and it just doesn't seem to perform like I would expect.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
clamdigr
I've been tempted to mod mine by bypassing the spray injector and adding a Sicci 2500 mesh mod (or two), then use a stand pipe on the outlet instead of the gate valve. But the price of the Sicci pumps is enough that if I sold my AquaC and added the money I would spend on the Sicci, I'd be close to buying a whole new one, better yet, a used one. Or DIY from scratch...or....or.....ahhhhhhhh!  
-Mike-

Poseidon
Sorry for the absence guys.  No new tank pics, I had Ca reactor issues, but those are resolved now.  Basically one thing led to another and I ended up farther behind then I started.  

The skimmer production has decreased, but I think is because of what was a small bio load for this size skimmer.  I have since added 3 Lyretail Anthias, and they are ALL EATING!  Yay!  I would also like to add a couple/trio of fairy wrasses, but I have to get the pseudochromis out first.

Overall I have to say that I am very happy with the new skimmer, and the new sump.  I still have to work out a place for the saltwater mixing can though.
clamdigr
No worries Mike, you made a big change. The small fish are the worst, it's so easy for them to disappear in the rocks. You going to try a trap of some sort? That mesh Tal uses sounds perfect.
-Mike-

Poseidon
Yes, I am going to try a trap.  I tried a Sprite bottle with an inverted top last night, but that didn't work at all.  I may have to wait a few weeks, because I will try again after not feeding for a few days.  (The anthias have only been with my since Thursday, I don't want them to QUIT eating.)

The next incarnation will be eggcrate with some nylon mesh around it, I found the mesh at JoAnn's.  
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 9 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1