Hot!Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef

Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
Re: RE: Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef (permalink)
Thanks Guys!  It looks like I dodged a bullet this time.  I am just getting home, hoping to see a healthy tank, and it is!  YAY!!!!  

I know what happened, it was MY FAULT.  It was time to replace the impellar on the MJ1200 that is used to stir the kalk in my reactor, about 2 weeks ago.  I replaced that, and when I put the reactor back together, a leak started at the input side of the pump.  Last night I took the reactor apart, and fixed the leak, by replacing a snap clamp, with a real stainless hose clamp, I cleaned the reactor out while I was at it.  When I put the reactor back together, I opened the valve on the pump that is used for my ATO all the way, to fill the reactor back up.  Once the reactor filled, I turn the valve back down to where I thought it was.  NOPE, it was WAY to fast....  I don't think that much kalk actually entered the system, it was just added much to fast.

I need to replace my ATO pump with another dosing type pump, instead of the Eheim pump I am using now....  That will keep this from happening again.

Thanks again for all the offers of support!  I truly appreciate it!
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2723
  • Reward points : 2807
Whew, good to hear!
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Good news Mike, glad everything's ok.
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
cmpenney
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 3837
  • Reward points : 1747
Good to hear everything is OK. I've forgotten to close down that stupid valve myself more than a few times. Luckily it's clouded my water alittle but very little PH jump, similar to what happened to you.

Nice thing about having a lot of off display water in my system.
Chad Penney - MASM President
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
Yup, I agree.  I think JimsFlies tragedy would not have been so bad, if he had a MUCH larger water volume.  I guess that extra 70 or 80 gallons in the basement is worth it after all.
Poseidon
I added a Diamond Goby last week, and the tank has been cloudy for a week! Today the tank is clear enough to get a few updated pictures, so here they are! First a full tank shot that shows the stand and light:  
Left half: Right Half:

Purple Tang, over my one and only Chalice coral, this was burned when it fell over into a Millepora, so that is the brown part:

My Red Planet, it is GROWING like crazy, but only out one side.... :confused:

And finally a better full tank shot:
I did some re-aquascaping to accommodate the goby, I had to move most frags off the DSB. And of course, wouldn't you know the goby wouldn't come out as long as I had the camera out, but he is out and about now! :mad:
Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2723
  • Reward points : 2807
Looks nice!  Darn Chalices always seem to find something to fall on!  Even if it's 6"'s away, grrr
cmpenney
The Prez
Poseidon
My Red Planet, it is GROWING like crazy, but only out one side.... :confused:

Looks like some sort of mutant alien growing out of the side! Sometimes corals just do the darndest things

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
It does!!!  The green "skin" has faded away, and the red is now more pink too, so I may need to change the placement in the tank some.  I recently (a month) moved it of the sand and up about 4", so I will leave it there for a while and see what happens.
cmpenney
The Prez
It looks like the different growth pattern is based on a change in flow pattern. I saw the same thing happen with some of my millis when I changed the placement of the corals so they were in a different type of flow. Distance from the light source stated pretty much the same.
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
I wish I could agree Chad, but that growth started that way on the sandbed.  I can't see the section that I cut off last weekend yet, but I am hopeful it will start growing.
cmpenney
The Prez
Hmmm
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
Okay, I have completed another DIY project, and I am in the midst of another one. First the completed project, this one was VERY quick, and VERY easy, I added a mesh top with the mesh I bought from JimsFlies about a YEAR ago.... :o I plan on adding some fairy wrasses, and wanted to have this in place before I purchased any fish prone to jumping. Here are a couple pictures:

and the return line corner, yes there is a small gap here:

Okay, that is it for the EASY one. I will post some pictures of my BIG one next. I am going to redo my basement sump! Here is an image of how the sump area looks now:

And here is the stand that I made for the new system: 

Sorry I didn't take any pictures of the construction, but it was pretty basic, use a compound mitre saw, and glue and screw all the joints. I did miter the corners of the 2x4's, so each shelf has the corners joined on 45's, with 3 screws and plenty of glue. I also added these to each corner:

Each corner joins to the vertical 2x4 with 4 screws, glue, and then the 45's that have 2 more screws and more glue! The top will not have a shelf, the 30 gallon tank that is going to sit up there will be used for frags and will rest on the 2x4 frame I created here:

In front of the 30 gallon I have a 6" shelf, and then to the right of the tank, I will have a 12x18 shelf where my monster Ca reactor will sit. The bottom shelf will hold a 50 breeder, my as yet to be determined new skimmer, my Kalk reactor, and some live rock with Chaeto algae. I left enough room under the bottom shelf to place my 2 rubbermaid trash cans under there as well, but I may keep the existing "can stand" as it makes water changes very easy. Here are the 2 new sumps, the 30 used to be my sump under the 90 that I have now, and the 50 breeder I bought used from a fellow reefer. (Thanks Chris.)  

I am not in a real big hurry to get this set up, but it does give me something to work on over the winter months. The 30 and 50 are going to be drilled, and baffles replaced, so that the flow will start from the 30 on the right, fall to the 50 and enter on the left, then be returned to the tank from the right. I am going to downsize my return pump, to save some wattage, and by raising the sump off the floor I should be able to keep about the same GPH. Oh, both tanks will be sitting on 1/2" foam as well, just in case those 2x4's aren't as straight as they look.

cmpenney
The Prez
Looking Good Mike..You've been quite the DIY maniac lately!
My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
Thanks Chad.  I have been having some fun with the tank this "season".  Hopefully this new sump will have a few advantages:

I will use a smaller return pump, either my Blueline 40HD-x or a Velocity T4 pump that I was given by another reefer.  I know the T4 pumps adds heat to the water, but that is OKAY with the basement sump, it just means that heaters will run less.

I will have a REAL frag area.  I plan on lighting the top tank, and letting the light bleed through to grow the chaeato.  This will separate my frags from the Urchin, and the Chaeato algae.  

If I want to, I will be able to place foam panels on the sides to help retain heat in the winter months.  I will also be able to cover most of the sump with glass tops to reduce evaporation in the summer months.

I am going to move the sump to the corner of the basement, and install a fresh air intake for the skimmer.  This should help with tank pH year round.

If I can get all these advantages, with only a minor loss of water volume, I think I will come out way ahead!  
mhowe9
Treasurer
  • Total Posts : 1193
  • Reward points : 2505
Cool Project. 

BTW the DIY light fixture is awesome as well
cmpenney
The Prez
Poseidon
If I want to, I will be able to place foam panels on the sides to help retain heat in the winter months.  I will also be able to cover most of the sump with glass tops to reduce evaporation in the summer months.

Actually I cover the tops of my sumps in the winter not in the summmer. The dryer air means more evap and heat loss in the winter. You'll probably find that you get more energy savings by covering the tank than by wraping it with foam panels.

My Build Journal
Agis quod Adis
Poseidon
Ya, but I WANT the humidity in the winter.  I don't have a furnace humidifier, so the tank functions in that role.  In the summer the added humidity makes the BASEMENT crazy humid though.
Poseidon
Well time for an update- I have been busy watching, selling and finally BUYING stuff for the sump redo. We had a swap that was local to me, so I took a bunch of frags and ended up selling more then I bought. I put that money aside and started to really look into a new skimmer. Well after much research and debate, and uh "pushing some buttons" I found a new to me skimmer. I settled on a MSX S2 cone skimmer, I found it used from a somewhat local reefer. John is getting a bigger tank, and wanted to get an even larger skimmer then this one. I have also found a Velocity T4 pump used, but still in the box for about 1/2 of retail. I decided to use this pump as it nearly the same GPH as my current Blueline 55 but saves about 20W, it is also SILENT. Another added bonus for me, is that it adds a couple degrees of HEAT to the tank, with my basement sump, my heaters are on WAY to much, so this is "free" heat for me. I do have to say I got a little ahead of myself though. I posted my current MR-2 for sale on a local board a few days ago, my friend Chris had the same skimmer and it took a month for it to sell- mine sold the next day! :eek: I also posted a choice on the pump to drive the skimmer, well the buyer chose my RETURN pump, the 55. So.... I had to tear into the old sump today, so I could have the skimmer and pump ready for the buyer tomorrow afternoon. Good thing I had already built the new stand, and I had placed the baffles in the 50 breeder early this week. I also drilled 3 holes in the 30 and 50 a couple weeks ago, so everything was just about ready to go. The next step is going to be to build a skimmer stand, about 5" tall, and I have to hook up the MONSTER Ca reactor tomorrow too. After that, I have to work on cleaning up the power wires, and make a frag rack. Once I get those items done, I will add a controller to the sump area. I am thinking of the ReefKeeper Lite 3, it will have everything I need and nothing I don't! It is also the right price, at just under $300. Of course I do have a couple pictures, mostly a before, and then an after, minus the skimmer and Ca Reactor of course, but those will come tomorrow. Oh, I do have a HUGE mess in the basement now too... :o :o ;p Sorry for the long post!
Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
sounds like a lot of work.. dont you just love when you put something up for sale expecting it to take a little while to sell and it sells right away!! but then again i have had things i expect to sell quick and i still am holding on to them.. crazy people....!! cant wait to see the finished product
Page: << < ..678910.. > >> Showing page 8 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2018 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1