Hot!Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef

Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
Poseidon
  • Total Posts : 307
  • Reward points : 241
RE: Poseidon's 90 gallon SPS Reef (permalink)
Sorry Mike, been crazy busy!

John, that is Makayla, she was not quite 1 yet...

60 hour weeks the last 3, and no end in sight, had a wedding yesterday, and a Migraine this morning! I am coming around though. Still a mild pain, but no more PUKING! ugh!
Just say NO to CRABS! [sm=.gif]  Build Thread HERE -Mike
Poseidon
These are from Today!!! I still have to dig up some from the build, but I wanted to update since it is raining outside.

This one is a different view:

Black71gp
Jarrod
  • Total Posts : 1142
  • Reward points : 835
man... your tank looks amazing.. love the aquascaping!!! 
Hopkins
MMMC Member
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points : 596
Awesome! I really like how your 'scape slopes down to the side. How many bags of Grey Coast is that? 
Poseidon
Thanks Jarrod and Adam, the scape will look better in a few months when the pink Milli and the Deswali grow up in the area above the A. Gomezi. (Just to the left of the caps.) As for how much, that is NINE bags. I bought 10 from Preuss' but the tenth bag ended up partly in my Ca reactor and the rest in Logan's 15 gallon tank. Logan has a pair of baby clowns, a few hermits, and a Peppermint shrimp that used to be in my tank, before I treated for bugs.
clamdigr
  • Total Posts : 1088
  • Reward points : 923
Wow that looks awesome Mike! I love the way the two colors of montipora are growing together. 
-Mike-

240g In-wall - 48x48x24 - Mixed Reef  
Poseidon
Thanks Mike, there are actually 3 caps growing all together. I have a green cap, a purple cap, and a blue polyped purple cap growing in that swirl. I would like to try and make a frag/colony of the three or four and see what happens when I glue them all together.

Today I cleaned the skimmer, and the strainer that feeds the return pump. I also had to remove one of the "nipples" I made on the return line, as the VELOCITY of the water was to great coming from the bottom 3 returns. With a full 3/4" opening on top, and 3 1/2" barbs on the bottom, I still get good flow, but not at such a high velocity. Having cleaned the strainer also cleared up an issue I was having with the skimmer, it was inconsistent because of the reduced flow coming from the tank. I will have to add that strainer to my list of things to clean monthly, when I do a water change. I have 2 of them, and can just swap it out, and put the "dirty" one in a vinegar solution.

Since cleaning that strainer, I think I am up to about 800 gph from the sump, when I fed today, most of the food was gone in NO time at all, into the overflow. Maybe I can rig up a switch under the tank for a feeding switch. OR... I have that high water sensor in the tank, but it is currently not in use, maybe once I build that I can include a timer into the design, trip the float and the return stops for 15 minutes, or something like that. I KNOW it can be done, I just need a little help with the parts. Chad has told me what I need, but I get lost... maybe I can get a float switch for dummies guide from our resident electronics GURU!!! (Hint hint!)

Fishtal
The Prez
  • Total Posts : 2722
  • Reward points : 2807
Looks great!  I have an onrange and a green cap growing like that too[]  Got a frag of blue from PJR that I'm going to add to the mix.
AJ
  • Total Posts : 1082
  • Reward points : 1557
Your tank looks amazing!

On my discus tank we use an overflow pulling about 1300 gph  and they often get flakes.  I have a hob filter in the middle of the tank and the current keeps most of the floating food out of the overflow if I put the flakes on the right side of the tank. Maybe something similar would help you?

AJ
Poseidon
THanks Tal and AJ!

The HOB filter idea sounds like it works great for you, but I don't have room for one on the back. Well, I do on the back right side, but because of coral placement, no room for a tube... (At least not the AC300 I have in the basement.) I had thought of adding that for a HOB refugium in the past.

On a different note, I can't believe how FAST my little SPS are growing! That HUGE Ca Reactor, along with the kalk reactor, are really doing a good job maintaining a balance in Alk and Ca levels, I haven't tested either in a while, but a visual inspection reveals growth tips EVERYWHERE!!! I would not have that without adequate Ca and Alk, so I am pleased with the performance of that monster, that is for sure!
clamdigr
For feeding I use a section of plastic tubing (3" dia) that extends down into the water about an inch. The fish can eat out of it, and any food that enters the tank is below the surface so it has less tendancy of finding the overflow.
-Mike-

Poseidon
That sounds like a pretty good idea Mike. I may have to come up with something like that...
clamdigr
Don't remember where I saw the pics, but, your sump area looks AWESOME Mike!!!!!!!![]
-Mike-

Poseidon
Thanks Mike!

Here they are again:

Those are a couple months old now, I have changed to a dosing pump on my ATO, that is more reliable then the MJ that I was using before.
clamdigr
Man, that is so clean looking!!!!! And I love the sign.
-Mike-

Black71gp
Jarrod
that is awesome for sure. i gotta come up sometime and check it all out!
Poseidon
You guys are welcome anytime!  Bring some bags, so you can take home a few frags!  (The LFS nearest to me that I used to get the bags at closed. 

I still owe you two at least that much for all your help moving the tank to the new place. 

As for the sign, I found that when I was a kid, up in Bay City.  It was laying face down in the mud so I picked it up....  I have had that for 25+ years!  It is an ANTIQUE now!!!  LOL!!!
Poseidon
Time for a few updates I think!

Okay, a few more:

This rock has my frag swap prizes on it, a Garf purple bonsai, a yellow and purple Tenuis, an Aussie acro of some sort, and a very tiny RED acro. These are all very small at the moment though.

Logan picked this out for me... He went to the swap, and helped sell frags, so he got to buy one he liked too.

Sorry for the crap picture, but this is an ORA Pearlberry Acro, I traded a 24ish gallon sump for it!

Tyree flower petal cap behind an A. Gomezi:

Here is a picture of my Tort, it is on the "low side" of my tank:

THe "high side":

Superman Monti, with a Poker Star in the back:

I bought this one as a Garf Bonsai, but I don't think so....

It has a really weird growth going on, I have never seen an Acro turn over like this.

Here is a Tyree Echino of some sort....(I think :o )

My Blastomussa is growing again, and the Acan in the front was found totally without color under some rocks when we moved to the town house.

Check out these Purple Rims:

My friend Gene, sent me this 4 or 5 years ago!

Cap Corner:

Green Table from my friend Charlie:

A really nice Acan from Junior:

This is a Crayola Acro, but it hard to get a good picture of.

clamdigr
Lookin' sweet Mike, the Superman Monti and Poker Star stand out but the Tryee Echino really catches my eye. Lots of cool stuff, you have a favorite?
-Mike-

Black71gp
Jarrod
tanks looks amazing like always!!!
Page: < 12345.. > >> Showing page 4 of 12 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Jump to:
© 2017 APG vNext Trial Version 4.1